Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey-

I got a 1978 Hobie 14, and I was wondering if you knew anything about how to disassemble the pontoons from the trapoline? I took those four hex bolts out and presto the trampoline should pull apart from the pontoon posts? unh unh, aint happening? Am I missing something? I don't want to force anything. How does one properly disassemble a Hobie 14?

The reason I want to do this: One of my siderails is a small bit rotted out at the point where the rigging attaches to it. I want to take the rail out and flip it over or rather turn it around. It appears as if this will work, but if you know better let me know now - Thanks.

Oh, one more thing - Were Hobie 14's sold with titles? Do they have titles? Thanks, again John

Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:09 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Get a 2 lb rubber mallet or dead blow hammer to help get it apart. Don't be shy about whacking it really hard. If your side rail is corroded, you can bet there's a fair amount of corrosion between the castings and the pylons.

Usually, the rear crossbar is easiest to get off. Work all four corners of the trampoline so that it doesn't bind up.

Titles are state dependent. Some require them and some don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. This is sort of a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Is it best to do this with the boat right side up, or upside down? In other words, should I be pulling the trampoline off the pontoons or the pontoons off the trampoline?

Another thing, Do I have to de-rivet? I just want the trampoline off and in one piece. Then de-rivet that one side, flip the side rail over and put it all back together again. It looks like an easy thing to do, but..... I'm having problems with something that looks to be very easy to do.

Any comments on flipping the rail over? this will work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've always done it right side up.

Pull it off the trailer and take it apart on grass or sand.

Usually, you don't need to take the rivets out unless you're planning on gluing the boat back together or the rivets are really loose.

Turning the rail over will work, but depending on how bad the corrosion is, you might want to replace it. FYI - the boom and siderails use the same extrusion, so if you find a used boom, you can cut it down for a siderail.

The other "bad" thing about turning the siderail around is that the opening for the tramp will be in the back of the boat. HC does not recommend doing this since it's easy to get toes stuck in the opening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not really sure you can take it apart with the trampoline on the frame. When it's laced up it pulls the siderails quite a bit, putting pressure on the corner casting. Take the tramp off and try again. BTW: I have a '78 too. Boat titles depend on the state...I have a title for mine, but only because the prior owner filled out paperwork and signed off that it had never been titled before. Here in TX, boats weren't titled until about 10 years ago. Check with your state's DMV or Parks and Wildlife department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

You can take the boat apart with the tramp on the frame as long as the lacings are loose.

Post subject: Pontoon won't budge a mm
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put a jack on it, and lightly tourqued it. That tramp frame won't move a millimeter. I figue it must be corroded together down there. I'm not messing with it - I'll have that crack helio arc welded with the frame in place. Can they fill in those rotted out rivet holes on the siderail?
Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You're down here in Florida? Sailboats under 16' with no motor (no electric trolling motors either) are not titled or registered with the state. Go up over 16', or put any kind of motor on it and you have to register it with the state. I'm not sure what the size cutoff is for boat titles.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I hail from Punta Gorda. Nice to meet you, and thanks for the info..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No problem, I appreciate info when I can get it. I've been slowly rebuilding a '79 H-14. It's my first boat and I'm starting to learn the lesson of 48 hours of work for every 1 hour of sailing!

The article below might help with removing the hulls, the second link is a pretty good database of repair articles...

http://www.catsail.com/archives/v3-i2/feature1.htm

http://discoverysailing.org/hobie/hobitune.html