Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Max Weight
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Hobie 18.

I have diffuculty understanding why there is an "optimal" weight of 300 pounds on the cat (me and my crew are actually 150 pounds each).

If I was going out with a friend weighting 220 (total weight of 370), would there be a difference in sailing? Is the difference more apparent at 7 knots or 15 knots?

And if i was going out with my girlfriend weighting 100pounds (total weight of 250).

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Max Weight
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

With more weight, the boat will be more sluggish in light air, but able to carry more power in heavy air.

To get a feeling for what it's like for the boat to deal with this weight, just pick up a couple of 25 lb weights and move around with them. Harder to get moving, harder to change direction, harder to stop.

The reverse is true for less weight - the boat will be more responsive in light air and harder to hold down when the wind's up.

~300 lbs has proven to be the optimal, all-around crew weight for the 18.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was under the impression that 300lbs was the minimum for righting the 18 and that's what that number had a lot to do with as well.

I have sailed my 18 with 4the people aboard putting us at over 500lbs and still flown a hull.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:18 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bacho wrote:
I was under the impression that 300lbs was the minimum for righting the 18 and that's what that number had a lot to do with as well.
That's part of it, but the weight needed to right the boat varies widely with wind / wave conditions and the orientation of the boat to the wind/waves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you're racing, I really wouldn't get overly concerned about the whole weight issue. Make sure you're able to right the boat and then go out and enjoy. I've sailed the 18 singlehanded and with up to 3 on board (~600lb crew weight) and the boat is always fun. They are very versatile and forgiving boats.

If you're racing, try to shoot for the 300 to 325lb range if possible. But even then, don't get too worried about it. We race at about 350lbs and do fine.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For years the National/North American Champion Crew wieghts were/are in the 315-325lbs range .... sometimes a little lighter .... sometimes a little heavier ....

... it's more important to know how to use the "tuning" adjustments on the H18 .... that's what makes the H18 vs the H16 a better boat in IMHO ... it has a bigger performance window/envolope due to the "on-the-water" adjustablity of the tuning of the boat .... you need to know what adjustments to make ... when the wind dies ... or picks up. If you are sailing "heavy" ... concentrate on boatspeed (through the waves) and not tacking or jybing to much ... keep your sails a little "full" ... especially if the wind goes "lite". If you are sailing "lite" you can/should concentrate more on tactics because the waves will slow you down more .... especially if the wind picks up ... then keep your sails alittle "flatter" and "foot" since you may not be able to keep the boat "flat" and point as high ....

It's all about sailing to your strengths ... and your game ..... don't try and sail to your competitors strengths ... and play their game

And also know your competitor's style/habits .... a good friend here in Div11 will look back at me while sitting up straight... once ... twice .... three times ... and then he'll lean forward .... I'll wait until he leans forward .... and jybe away .... it's not much ... but that's his "tell" ... and it gives me just a few seconds advantage ... but sometimes, just sometimes it's enough ....

So ... it's not just all about weight .....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11