Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be careful with the 48" trailers. You'll need to extend the tongue, so the bows of your Wave don't hit the back of your car when you make a turn.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea, they seem a bit small in every dimension. I didn't think of the tongue, but it's probably small/short too.
Good for camping though, isntead of owning a huge minivan that's overkill 99% of the time (trying to talk my wife into this thinking!).
A handful of used Waves don't have trailers (I guess people with cottages don't need a trailer, plus the Classic Wave comes apart so easily). I'll probably buy one that comes with a "real" trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well...I am taking the plunge and getting a classic wave. Going to convert a hobie 18 foot trailer but the pick up and bring home is going to be in a ford explorer with the seats down and the hulls poking out the back glass along with the mast... fortunately it is just me and it is going to be a LONG ride home! I will post pics or maybe video. Debating renting a truck but I can only find 6 1/2 foot beds... the explorer gives me a little more especially if the front passenger seat comes OUT.

Wish me luck! Looking forward to many posts on the board!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well... Good news bad news.... Got the entire wave in a ford explorer with just the hulls hanging out..... lots of bungee and straps and it is good.... long trip... I drove a long way to pick up a "very lightly used 2010" that ended up being a used 2003....

looks like there is a lot of wear where the sail goes in.... at the base. I am completely new to the whole thing...

It is an SE and I have the old style tillers.... there are scratches on the hull but not too bad...

I just ordered new bridles for the SE as they were dragged... and destroyed. Guessing they are the same for 2010 and 2003.... all the cloth parts look new but the mast has the wear. More to come.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought recently catamaran trailer for my Wave. Trailer has mast stand on front, which works fine but ... where to put mast on back? Do I have to take off tiller every time to put mast on rear crossbar? Any other options?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That stinks, they had to know it was not a 2010. How did you know it was a 2003?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

they took me... a cop nonetheless... told me it was like new and that they took all the rigging out of the box and set it up... I drove a crazy long way to get a 2010..

looking at it, it does have a new sail and tramp as I think the old was worn. There is a ton of wear where you feed the sail up.

I kept asking for a serial but they skirted the issue....and used the part number off the mast. The hull has the serial and it is a 2003.... :(

Here is the original ad.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/13-hobie ... _500wt_977

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to report their deliberate deception to Ebay.

Did they TRY to justify their lies?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"