Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok so I have a found a 70's (probably) Hobie 17 being sold locally for $300. I forgot to check for a HIN

I dont' need a boat but for that price I am interested. I looked at it tonight and it appears to have all the parts except it is missing one Centerboard.

The sail is old an well worn (maybe delaminated) but has no rips or tears and has all it's battens. It has a good halyard and good 6:1 mainsheet .

It has a complete rudder system but one lower casting may need replacing soon.

All standing rigging looks to be in good shape and has single traps no corrosion I can see. Bridles are Uber long I assume because it is a Uni.

it has WINGS! Pockets wing go into have cracked gelcoat but I could not see any obvious structural problems. Wings looked solid.

Tramp and wing tramps are blue vinyl look like they have not been removed in a long time but otherwise ok. Tramp laces diagonally and has a flap to cover the laces but the velcro on it is worn out.

Mast is comptip looks ok as far as I can tell. There are 2 little posts on the outside the ring hook that look like maybe something goes there but I can't tell what. castings look ok.

I forgot to look st the mast step.

Hulls are old, white and not super pretty. There have been repairs but they seem if anything stronger where the repairs are. There is one very obvious soft spot on the top of the starboard hull between the port and the rear beam. It is probably fixable.

Comes with serviceable trailer that is old and rusty but tires look ok.

Main Questions: How hard is it to find a cheap used centerboard? Are they the same for both sides?

Can it be sailed at all without the centerboards temporarily to test it out some. The hulls may be symmetrical but they still have pretty steep V like the H16.

Purpose of the boat is to give my teenagers something to do as they are taking my P18 more and more and it would be fun to sail more with them.. No racing just fun.

Thanks for any advise you can give, If I decide to buy it I will pick it up tomorrow night and hope to put it in the water this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are several centerboards for sale on ebay. You'll also need a spring if it's gone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 17 was first introduced at the end of 1985, so there's no way it's a '70s boat. '85 at the oldest. Check the last two digits of the HIN for model year.

For $300, if all or most of the parts are there and in servicable condition, that is definitely a tough deal to pass up.

If the wing sockets are cracked, they almost certainly leak. Probably not a structural issue, but the boat will take on water. You should be prepared to fix them or deal with having a leaky boat. There was a Hotline article a while back describing the repair and there have been discussions on the forum as well.

The pins on the halyard hook are/were for the "flopper". A piece that was used on the H18 and early H17 halyard systems. It was likely removed because it does more harm than good. None of the boats come with it anymore. Search the H18 forum if you want more info.

Soft spots in front of the rear beam are pretty common. This is where the skipper often sits and steps when coming off the wing. There was a Hotline article fairly recently that gave a step-by-step instructional on installing bulkheads in this area to fix this. Or you can go the epoxy injection route.

Used cheap centerboards are rare, but they do show up on ebay occasionally. I'd check with your local fleet and/or dealer to see if anyone has any leads. The boards are the same for both sides of the boat. It's not going to sail upwind well with the board missing (on one tack). Plus there will be a lot of water sloshing around in the trunk. But you can certainly take a test run without the board.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a lot that helps. I hope it is an 85 because 85 and older in UT doesn't need a title to register and I know the seller doesn't have one. The seller got the boat from someone who was upgrading and never actually put it in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could try and manufacture a centerboard, the tricky part would be the hook area. New centerboards are about $350.00 and springs $50.00 (I know because I had to buy a couple). The soft spot can be repaired, there are several places detailing the procedure, but mainly it is drilling small holes into the foam sandwitch core on the borders of the soft spot (i.e., drill through the gel coat and outer fiberglas layer into the 1/4" foam core, but not through the inner fiberglas layer). then inject polyester resin in several holes till it oozes out the others, wipe off residue with cloth and acetone. Easy way to check for leaky wing sockets is to fill them with water and see if the level goes down. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got the boat looks like it is also missing a boom. I may have to get some specs and fashion one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This link has some pdfs that should help. :wink:

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/products/sailboats/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
The 17 was first introduced at the end of 1985, so there's no way it's a '70s boat

That's interesting. I'm refinishing the hulls on an H17 that sounds almost identical to this boat in terms of the shape it is in, and the model number I have is CCML1614F78. That is hand written into what must be the original gelcoat because there is nothing but fiberglass under it. Doesn't that mean it was made in June of '78?

To answer the questions in the original post, one of my centerboards is in bad shape, and I've found some used ones for sale on ebay, $65 - $135, though they do say that they show a few cracks. I think they are interchangeable. I don't see any obvious differences between the two I have, and when I've priced new ones online, I don't see them listed separately, just a single part number for a centerboard.

As far as sailing without the centerboard for testing purposes, I'm sure it will work. You won't win any races, but I'm sure it will sail.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

emgisler wrote:
[That's interesting. I'm refinishing the hulls on an H17 that sounds almost identical to this boat in terms of the shape it is in, and the model number I have is CCML1614F78. That is hand written into what must be the original gelcoat because there is nothing but fiberglass under it. Doesn't that mean it was made in June of '78?

I think your serial number is incomplete. There should be three numerical digits after the "F". Maybe it was supposed to be "F787" which would indicate 1987 model year built in June of 1987.

In any case, if it's a Hobie 17, then it wasn't built in 1978, 1985 would have been the earliest.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine is handwritten as well and is CCML1205G68. Pretty sure that does not mean 1968 so there must be some different versions.

It doesn't seem to quite match this
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/articles/archive/?src=http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/warranty/sailserial.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:08 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quarath wrote:
Mine is handwritten as well and is CCML1205G68. Pretty sure that does not mean 1968 so there must be some different versions.

It doesn't seem to quite match this
http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/warranty/sailserial.html
It's missing the last digit, which based on the mfg date (G6) would be a 6, making your boat an '86.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MBounds & srm, thanks for the info! Good to know my boat is 9 years younger than I thought it was. :-)