Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback question
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings,
I have an Outback and love it for flat water fishing. I'm thinking about trying it BTB on the Gulf Coast. Can any of you give me some insight on its behavior in the weak choppy surf here? Does the drive system help or hinder in mild surfing condition? When I come back in should I put the fins up against the hull and surf? or let them act as a keel? or continue thrusting? I haven't tried it yet so I don't know what to expect.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome bankshot

I would not want my fins in while I was dragging my kayak in the sand including the surf but I am on the west coast. In protected waters or no real surf you could leave you wheels in with the fins bungeed in the up position until you’re in deep enough water to remove the wheels. When landing you could drag your yak in the sand on end then remove the fins.

I use the paddle to launch and land until I am in two feet or more of water.

Lots of Outbacks fishing the Gulf so I suppose there isn’t a problem with the surf launching in that area.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Offroad,
Thank you for calling my attention to numerous other considerations that, as of yet, I hadn't thought about. But I wasn't clear in my original question. Assume I'm already in deep enough water to use the drive. I'm heading back in in a 3', choppy, slow surf. Few faces to ride. But it could be steep enough to warrant slipping left or right to avoid pearling. Should I use the drive system for propulsion, use it as a skeg (or more accurately a centerboard) or should I fold them up against the hull and simply steer? I know I have to fold them up when it gets shallow. But I plan to bail out before it grounds to protect the system.
Would using them as a vertical stabilizer be advantageous further out surfing in on the swells? Or should I fold them up?
Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good question, I suppose it depends on your balance.

I pedal when ridding a swell or use the drive as a centerboard for coasting. Matt has surfed the sport and has a video on the site.

Post subject: Thats Helpful
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now I know to try anyway.
Thanks again