Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 pm 
I'll be in Wilmington NC next week and would like to go play in the ocean. There used to be a place on Wrightsville Beach across from the Blockade Runner with a Wave and a Getaway for rent, but they went out of business and last year I rented an H16 from a new company on the same spot, but that boat made my H16 look good, and mine is a a beater.

Any other ideas where I could find some fun on a Hobie in Wrightsveille, Carolina Beach, or someplace else near Wilmington?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Locations seem to be none down there. Duck has a good place, but that's way up the coast.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:26 am 
Where is Duck? How far up the coast?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://norbanks.com/ You can mapquest the distance.

There is a company in Oriental http://www.tritonyachts.com/sunfish-laser but don't know if they do rental or would let you do a weekend of sailing. They don't do Hobies. The nearest Hobie dealer is in Myrtle Beach and may have rentals. Closer than Duck. http://www.sailandskiconnection.com/products.asp?cat=32

Lot of Hobie and cat sailors around apparently but they don't share their spots.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its not that they don't share the spots, the spots don't exist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm 
Duck's a little too far, but thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can sail mine if you want. When will you be in town?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I go to Avon every year. Haven't taken my boat, yet, but have seen and been told of a few spots.

Find a cut through the dunes where fishermen access the ocean that are next to the many parking lots up and down RT 12.

You could rig in the parking lot and push it out to the beach on your cat trax through one if these cuts. Select carefully because some are pretty far from the water and be sure to post a lookout at the top of the hill as they go through the dune(s) because returning fishermen may not see you in time as they drive back to the parking lot towards you.

Can't say I've seen it done but it looks plausible although I'd find a cop or ranger and discuss it with them first.

I do know the owner of a jet ski business on the sound and thought of asking him for access. I'd ask any other the same and would be willing to pay the fee.

Get creative, you'll find a way!

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi manta ray -- do you still lend/rent your hobie? Traveling to topsail island area and looking for a hobie wave style rental anywhere closer than myrtle! Let me know-thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

check my posts for Oak Island NC Really close to Wilmington n c and some great classic ocean sailing
Former Hobie Admiral Gary :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Kitty Hawk Watersports in Nags Head rents Getaways and Waves, used to have a 16 or 2 but not sure about those any more. Jman- Canadian hole's a good sound launch. A little shallow getting out, but on the right course drops off to locked rudder depth pretty quick. As far as ocean launching, NPS seems OK with it. I tow my boat out and leave the Jeep and trailer up near the dunes-You need their idiotic and expensive ORV permit for this (and the dirt roads to the sound side as well). Watch the tide lines, too- some places there's NO beach at high tide. I'm pretty sure your idea to walk the boat over would be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, either! Also, some of the ramps would be a pretty long walk from the ramp to the ocean. 38 right below Avon might be a good place to walk your boat over, though

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been lurking around this topic with interest since I'm heading down to Avon, NC for a week in less than 2 wks. Thanks turbofan for your reply with details. I have an AWD so I think its best I stay off the beach on the ocean side. I'm still undecided on towing my H16 or 18 from PA. Definitely will rent if I don't. Thanks.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rodanthe Watersports rents 16's
(252) 987-1431
http://watersportsandcampground.com/index.htm
Just north of Avon. Also a place in Avon that I believe had some Prindles available last time I was there.
Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, I forgot about Rodanthe watersports! Pretty far~20 miles from Avon, though! Actually, I think Ride Hatteras or one of them in Avon used to rent boats, but I haven't seen any boats out there recently. I used to tow my 16 down several times a year when we camped at Frisco Woods. Rental boats often tend to be kind of ragged Now I just roll it down the yard :D ! When I have time :|

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now I gotta tie 'em down! Damn storm! :x