Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Three people in a TI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ive been sailing an AI for a couple seasons now and am thinking about getting a TI and trailering it. I will still keep the AI.

I would mostly single hand the TI - will research that later (hopefully it has the wind range of the AI with only one person in the TI).. but sometimes would like to go out with the whole family - myself, wife and two teenage boys (four total).

This would mean that three people would have to ride on the TI, the forth person would sail the AI. Ive used the AI with two people where the second person sits behind the pilot facing backwards - works OK - but I end up with a little more water in the hull than I like.

How about the TI with three people? I would not do this often but it would be a nice option to have it work well for this..

Post subject: Re: Three people in a TI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Walt it all depends on the weight factor, if you don't grossly exceed the weight limit then it will be fine.

I regularly go out on the TI with my daughter and my wife, the plan was I sail from the rear seat and they occupy the forward position, one in the seat and one on the windward tramp.

Unfortunately for my daughter, my wife decided our daughter is young and fit enough to clamber through from one side to the other as required while she stays in the seat!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

thanks for the resposne jms..

Weight
one person about 195 pounds
two persons about 140 pounds each

(ie, say 475 to 500 pounds total)

I’m not planning on the trampolines (don’t use them on my AI either).

I’m wondering if three people could sit "somewhat comfortably" on the fuselage for hours at a time. For example, say we started out peddling for a while, then put the sail up, sailed for a while, then maybe had to peddle again to get back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bud
This is a caution for anyone that buys these boats:
1) WEIGHT, . There is an old saying:
The first day you buy your boat will be the lightest it will EVER be. No kidding, all that stuff adds up and will slow you down a lot.
2) You are not buying a 30 foot yacht, you are buying the exact opposite: a highly lightweight vessel intended to be the same - LIGHT!
3) Light means SPEED! The reason you bought the boat in the first place (I hope). You cannot overload your shiny new boat and expect to skip the waves; with a refrig, overwieght crew, partridge in a pear tree and more electronics yjan to sink the tri version of the Bismark.
It is SO tempting to just add weight but it drags your ass into the ocean.
Before you set out on the masterplan, get the weight right you off the start. A buddy of fine had a precise scale on his craft,
The weight was crucial at ownership....as it is when you add anything that will affect the performance of the vessel (especially in heavy wind conditions)

Regards

Last edited by Trinomite on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Weight;
Loot of all your fittings, nylon will always weigh less than aluminimum.
There is no such thng as light aluminum unless you use nylon as a substitute
Marine aliminum is also coated with anodizing
; If the coating wears off you are back to basic corrosive aluminum.
that sux. Your only choice is to weigh all the goods and weight them, before an install.
Consider also your water weight, the wiring , the battery(s) and try to decide what is the most important for best performance (and survival).
This is why I am so critical of solar panels. If 12 pounds of Power Film is so needed, why not try to find a better substitute
I also mentioned 2 inflatable SUPs at 22 lbs a piece. Do you rerally need 44 lbs of weight. maybe
Yah they be nice to have, but for what , m8s
If you are out to get the best rde of your life, loose the garbage and get your new boat rolling at max speed (and RECORD IT).
After that, All the creature goodies can go back on.
However,
May I ask that you do try for max repect to the designers of these vessels and sail them at the fastest speed with the minimum amount of weight...(consider it as a benchmark, for future reference as the boat gets heavier)
That would only seem fair for you as the client and possible feedback of your tests to the designers that spend many sleepless nights getting you the best attempt to clock up the knots for your bucks.

If not, however, you will stiil have to keep careful inventory of your boat. An overweight sailboat is not ony dangerous in the extreme but an exercise in frustration as the fun factor drops rapidly as the knot meter drops and stays fixed well below capabilities

Good Speed, Mr. Gonzales

Fred

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The capacity of the TI is listed as 600 lbs which it will handle comfortably, it is easier to have extra people on board when using the tramps. the only places you could sit comfortably without tramps is
1. behind the rear seat in the cargo area and
2. in front of the mast on the front hatch,
neither of which I would like to consider myself! bite the bullet get the tramps and then you should be ok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've sailed my TI with two adults (180 and 200 lb) and two kids (both ~80 lb). Kids were on the tramps. It was really sluggish compared to 1 or two people.

I sailed it a couple of days ago with two kids (80 lb and 110 lb or so). Sailed fine except for the wakeboarder who gave us a "wake up" call:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/3-wScb52vGc[/youtube]

I think the tramps make the TI so much more fun. They keep you dryer in the rear seat and are just fun to sit or lie on whether your alone or have a crew. If you single hand it in a good breeze you'll really enjoy sailing from the front and hiking out on the tramps. Might want to build a tiller extension to make it easier to steer.

Enjoy your new TI!!

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oops, here's the video. Like I said, way too much fun to miss!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wScb52vGc&feature=player_profilepage[/youtube]

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey I just worked out (we deal in kg's here!) that when I have three people on board I have
1 x 165 lbs,
2 x 115 lbs,
total = 395 lbs

The TI seems to handle that weight with no problems at all, and with our daughter shifting sides to balance the wind it really seems to cut through the waves and fly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Walt,

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I think the TI is a great boat when used as designed - for 2 people. I have trampolines and used them one time to carry a third person. The person had to keep moving back and forth everytime I tacked because if she didn't we would bury the lee ama. It was a pain in the a%$.

My recommendation is that if you want to get a boat to use with 3 people buy one designed for 3 people. Hobie makes other boats that are designed to sail with more people. All TI's come with a placard that says they are designed to carry 2 people. If you ever got stopped for a safety check and your found to be carrying more people than the boat is designed for you might have some explaining to do.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the responses..

FYI, I own and regularly sail a 26 foot monohull, a 15 foot planning dingy, a Hobie 14 and the Hobie AI. I already know why I want a TI, no need for advice there.

Sounds like the tramps are one option for this particular case of the very occasional use for three people. Looks like the capacity is 600 pounds.

I was hoping that three could sit comfortably on the main fuselage for the maybe one time per year I would need to carry three...

picture is of my son giving the wife a ride on the AI at Lake Havasu Az.. (yes, both wearing life jackets)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmm..
Looking at this picture (below), looks almost no room behind the rear seat - so a third person would be best on the tramps. Probably just fine for sailing, the imbalance when peddling with no wind would not be optimal but maybe OK. On the AI, the second person sinks the tail of the boat too much - OK for just playing around (like the picture above) but probably not good for taking a cruise.. Now I’m thinking about the tramps, as I mentioned, I would almost never have a third person but the option to be able to do this would be important to me for one particular application. It seems the TI would have a wide range of use as well as wind range and that is a major appeal for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

walt:
We have a TI and use the heck out of it. We use it often as a scuba dive platform out in open water sometimes 5-7 miles out to sea (mostly in the Florida Keys) and have it loaded down with gear quite often. Trinomite is correct that adding more weight definately slows the boat down. We always use our trampolines and typically have gear lashed to them. On one recent outing we had:
Myself 200 lbs
Wife 200 lbs
4 scuba tanks (120 lbs @30 lbs ea) lashed to the AKA bars.
BC's and dive bags 25 lbs
weight belts 30 lbs
cooler, food, and drinks 25 lbs
Total 600 lbs
The boat definately sat lower in the water (both AMA's touched the water) and it was a little slower than normal and we sat in about an inch of water all the time, where without the excess load our butts are not below the water line.
The trip from Ft Desoto (where the EC challenge launches from) to Egmont Key was around 7 miles, we made the trip in a little over an hour with a nice 12mph broad reach wind from the west. We had the GPS on and got up over 8mph a few times, but averaged around 6mph. I have to mention that I also have a jib which helps a little. But the boat handled the trip with no difficulty, in the 90 ft deep cruiseship channel (which we had to cross) the waves were around 2 ft, which did slow us down some.
Conclusion: I don't recommend overloading the TI over the 600 lbs max capacity, but the boat can handle up to the 600 lb capacity safely.
We go out often with 3 people on the TI without any problems, and the speed degregation is minimal. Basically the passenger sits on one tramp on the way out to the island, and on the other on the way back, not a big deal. We have also gone out with 4 people plus diving gear, but had 2 Revolutions lashed between the hull and AMA's with the extra passengers and gear on the Revo's (or any kayak) down in the Keys. With 4 people all pedaling the party barge actually moves along pretty well as long as it doesn't get too rough.

During crab season we stack 10 crab traps onto the trampolines and take them out (look like the boats on deadliest catch (LOL)). Like I said earlier the we use our TI for everything, and love every minute of it, every weekend, all year round. I'm not trying to sell you a boat or anything, I'm just describing what we do with ours.
Just messing around in protected water we have had 5 teenagers on the boat tooling around (probably over capacity).
Bob

Last edited by fusioneng on Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The best way to sail with 3 on a TI is to have one person on each tramp.
In higher winds, you'll want one in the front seat and the other to windward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEt7Pue4bts
but having both on the tramps gives them more comfortable seats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uDQp_kSbzI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok.. the tramps are looking like a good idea.

This is probably something I could answer by searching but Im wondering if the tramps cause any "issue" for example if you were single handed and the wind got strong?

What about setup if you have the TI on a trailer? It looks like the TI would be a super easy setup and launch if its on a trailer with the Amas folded - how much hassle does the tramp add?

Good information for me, thanks again...