Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N.Myrtle bans catamarans
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is official, catamarans are not allowed on the beach overnight. There isn't a good spot to rig and de-rig daily and no marina or ramp to work from.

I have sailed here for 31 years and it really hurts me to see this happen. Seems to be the end to an era!

I and my dad are trying to work this out with the city but as my boat was the only one on the beach this year or last it doesn't look good. Just got my nephew a boat and my brother-in-law was looking as well.

If you have any interest in trying to help keep cats on this beach please contact Mike Mahaney the city manager and let him know. At this point he has heard from me and one other sailor in Cherrygrove. 2 sailors will not change this ruling, we need help from the sailing community to make it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is really sad.....

Up here north of Chicago, public beach land has been gone for 100 years, but since there are enough sailors willing to pay for space at 3 or 4 public beaches, everything seems OK. My cat is on a beach with about 150 others, as well as a bunch of sailboards, Lasers, Sunfish, kayaks, etc.

Not ideal to lose space, but in this economy, maybe see if you can't convince them to charge for space. When I was a kid, they did this on Mission Bay in San Diego (I think they still do), and, as I said, they do it here the the Chicago suburbs.

Once a town or city has a new revenue stream, they are very unlikely to ever try to shut it off. Free is best of course, but if you find a way to pay, you are unlikely to be pushed around by a city council again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems ridiculous to have a ban for just a couple of cats. I can't see the problem. Probably someone better connected made a complaint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think it probably had more to do with complaints regarding the security of the boats. The city doesn't want to take any responsibility whatsoever in protecting the boats from thieves, vandals and just plain ole morons. Its much easier to say no more boats allowed than it is to try to clean up their act on the beach.

People have no respect for anyone's property today.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The city council says that because they took federal money to do the beach renourishment the fed is mandating this change. I have a copy of the SC attorney generals ruling that quotes the federal statutes.

The boat is considered an obstruction to the maintenance of the beach and got lumped in with the tent/umbrella safety issues. I am anchored there due to home ownership in N. Myrtle.

I will talk with the city of Briarcliff to see about parking the boat there at night, it should be no issue for them. We will see how this shakes out.

This absolutely has nothing to do with the vandalism of my boat, mostly it is the result of a legal issue brought up by the sailor in Cherrygrove that thinks he owns the beach in front of his home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Virginia Beach used to charge for a permit to keep it on the oceanfront beach. Then everyone moved to the beach at the bay. Now there is no charge or permit needed for the oceanfront. And we used massive amounts of federal funds for a huge beach replenishment project. However the majority of boats are still on the bay. Though a lot of the bay beach is disputed as private. I will keep following this thread. Interesting.......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So, this is because of the sailor in cherry grove?

I'm in Surfside Beach, just bought 2 Hobies, and I have 2 other friends that are new owners. We'll be happy to make phone calls too. Can you PM me a phone number for this guy? I'll send you mine too.

Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Asked NMB Chamber about this on Facebook, and got the following reply:

Hi Russell, You cannot leave any items on the beach overnight now. Each night the beach a raked by Public Saftey to keep the sand even and cover any holes. You should still be able to bring it, just cant leave it out overnight. Hope you have a great visit!

I told them I was going to Myrtle now...lol