Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Trax 2 wheels keep coming off. I push the in until I hear a snap / click and they seem ot be OK ( wont come off when trying to pull it off), but then when you least expect it they fall off. This pass week one of my wheels fell off and wouldn't go back on. When I looked to see if an obstruction was preventing it from sliding back on, I found the plastic hub had split right where the axel is inserted. This problem prevented me from using the PA for the remaining 3 days of a 5 day fishing vacation last week! Does anyone else have problems with these wheels? Do the other wheels fall off? Are there any guarantees by Hobie ( mine are only 2 months old & used 4 -5 times) ? :cry:

2010 Papaya Yellow Pro Angler

*** Make My Day ***

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Have not heard this one. Have your dealer take a look. The locking caps are replaceable.

How far do you cart the boat? Side slope? Wheels may be pried off by transiting a long a slope I suppose. A lot of load would be on the stainless clips.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was going up a hard packed levee. It fell off, we dragged it up the levee and put the wheel on, then I rolled the PA on top of the levee for maybe 50 feet and it fell off a 2nd time and thats when it wouldn't slip back on! This is the 1st time they have slipped off while under the PA but they have fallen off several times when carrying it with a wheel up / down. These wheels must be defective if the slip off that easily.

I think that wheel is beyond replacing the clip! The hub part needs to be replaced and I don't see where parts are available for the wheels. What about warranty replacement, I thought Hobie stood behind their products? Had I known this was a problem I've opted to make my own cart and saved a lot of money and frustration! :evil:

*** Make My Day ***

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If that's either of the gray/silver style tires with the hub, the hub can stick from sand, salt or other gunk in it. Try turning the hub one way, then the other to be sure it's returning to center. If not, maybe a little WD40.

On one of my wheels the metal "spring" bent a little. It pretty easy to slide it out the side and re-bend it, then slide it back in. They're the best wheels for sand, but they can be a pain at times.

If you don't roll in sand the rubber wheels are better. Upgrade kit #80043 with some mods. The best wheels (non sand) are the newest HD Foam Wheels (no air!)

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What about warranty replacement, I thought Hobie stood behind their products?

Of course we do. We still need to know what and how something failed... and for you to contact a dealer for resolution if needed. If the hub failed it is likely because the clip allowed the wheel to start coming off. I assume that when partly off the axel and still loaded by your Pro Angler, this has caused the crack in the hub.

Fyi... max load for this type of cart is 176 lbs. A rigged Pro Angler is approaching this weight (138 lbs) plus (38 lbs) gear can possibly exceed it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The clips on my wheels did not "snap" very tight and one fell off the first time I took out the PA. I replaced the clips with tighter snapping action for about 2 bucks and have no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know, 176 lbs! I was probably under that with in addition to the seat, built in tackle boxes, camera, cellphone, 2 fishin poles, small landing net, a small 2 lb anchor, an ice chest with about 5lbs of ice and maybe 2 pints of water. The point being, because I was going out for only a couple of hours from the beach house I rented, I was a bit lighter than I would have been on my usual 1/2 to full day trip.

Now that I've had time to look at it, It's not the hub that is busted but the inner plastic bushing. Noticing that the actual wheels are made by Wheel Eez, I went on their website and find that these bushings are sold for $15.00. So, I probably shouldn't even bother with a waranty claim and just order directly from Wheel Eez. In hindsite, I regret that I didn't buy the Heavy Duty Cart because of the heavier load capacity.

*** Make My Day ***

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maverick1876 wrote:
In hindsite, I regret that I didn't buy the Heavy Duty Cart because of the heavier load capacity.

So then convert it to the HD Cart.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will,

*** Make My Day ***

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I regret that I didn't buy the Heavy Duty Cart because of the heavier load capacity.

We think the Trax 2 cart is under rated. The wheels can handle more, but the weak link is the locking clips I think. Side loading is the issue more than over all weight.

Ask Wheeleez for warranty. They may help you direct.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When you say side loading, I take that to mean laying the PA on its side to insert the wheels, right? Well, I try to avoid that by having someone lift the stern for me. But on the morning my wheel failed i did lay it on it's side to insert the cart because no one was there to help.

As far as the Warranty request, it will only slow down my getting up and running, so I'll just chalk it up to experience, like I did with 3 replacement Tubo fins aand try to learn from it. I will probably end up converting to the Heavy duty wheels but do not want a permanent conversion in order that I may use the fat tires on the beach next year.

*** Make My Day ***

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
When you say side loading, I take that to mean laying the PA on its side to insert the wheels, right?

No, that should be OK. It would be pushing the wheel into the axel... not off.

I mean like rolling down a levy on the side slope... boat tipped. My concern (not proven) is that the uphill tire would be pulling away from the axel, pressing on the retainer clip and possibly cause it to release.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok I understand. In my case, the path up the levee was kind of diagonal to the top. Once on top, it was about a 500 yard tow on top until you come to the path down, also a diagonal, at the launching site.

*** Make My Day ***

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Makes sense... I am likely correct then. Especially on a clip that is not properly locked or bent in such a way as unable to fully lock.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maverick1876 :
I think the plastic bushings on the Wheeleez wheels is a weak design, both of mine broke a long time ago and the wheels kept falling off. I ended up removing the twist off clips, and replacing with clips that I found at the hardware store. No problems since then. I also converted to the HD wheels and am very happy with them. I kept the old wheels for when launching at soft sand beaches, just throw them on the cart. Haven't used the old wheels since (over 6 months now), it turns out I only go in real soft sand once in a blue moon. I made a couple plastic bushings from water pipe to hold the narrower HD wheels as far out on the axle as possible, works like a charm.
It seems easier to pull the boat with the HD wheels.
Hope this helps
Bob