Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well today is the day that the real test set in. A buddy of mine and me set out to put the motors through the paces and they did great! 8 something miles traveled and still had about 1/2 but closer to 2/3 battery left running through the salt and chop with plenty of gear on board. I know it just a freshwater motor but for the deal I got on both of the motors I couldn't pass it up! I am using a group 24 battery 625 cranking amp 120 min reserve dual purpose battery from Academy think it was 65 bucks. Also use the quick release mount to allow me to take it off real quick. All the controls are done with the foot wired foot pad and so far everything is great except that you have to remember that it backwards so if you want to go right you push the left peddle and to go left push the right. If you turn it around and use it like a bow mount like intended then it has an awesome reverse. Well guess thats enough to get you started here are the pics!

This is how it looks right before or when I am in shallow water its easier to get it back in this way.

TeamGeauxFish here is the cart picture I made to be able to move it around the garage without a fight or into the truck or diveway for cleaning.

Only thing that is next it to swap out the treated lumber and move to a hard plastic o yea and the best part it only took 3 holes in the PA!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice set up. How much of the shaft did you cut off?
why did you not bow mount it, just curious?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It started off as a 54" shaft and it was way to long! Thnk I cut off about 26" and it works a lot better now. As far a mounting it on the bow well there is not really enough room up there to make it work right and it would get in the way of the front hatch and just something that would be right in front of your face all the time. I did think about doing it but it just would be right up there. Also woke up this morning and played around with the directional stuff and now have it turning the right way when I push the peddle instead of it being backwards. Easy fix just swap two wires around the problem fixed. Also next thing on the list after doing some looking, I found a company that will make the same pieces from UHMW black plastic in order to get rid of the lumber and it would be lighter not to mention look better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's sweet!!! It makes me feel like I'm in the stone-age with my fixed steering.

You officially have the best motorized PA on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well thanks but none of it would be possible without the pictures and post of your set up. I had no idea about the way I would be mounting the motor on the back. I just couldnt hold out for Tom's mount any longer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's GREAT !!!!!! Congrats on the good work !!!!

What # thrust did you use and what speed did you get ?

Post subject: Bud Light, Great job!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nwOI ... G_0536.JPG

I would like to see a picture of your cart without the boat on it. When you have your PA off, please take a picture of your cart and post it.

In September, I hope to buy a Revo 11. Then I will have our Oasis, a Freedom Hawk 12 and the Revo to haul around to and from storage and my pickup bed.

It was suggested that I buy a cart to haul yaks back and forth from the storage shed in our carport. Then, the cart would make it easier to load and unloads on my pickup with the bed extender. Also, if the cart was steady and yet mobile, it would make it easier to work on my yaks.

Your cart looks better than the pre made and ready to go carts.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by Grampa Spey on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The motor on top says it's a 42lb thrust and as far as speed goes I don't know yet but it's over 5mph for sure even loaded down with all my gear. As far as the cart goes as soon as I take it back off I will post more pics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sweet setup....I wonder just one thing. The shaft. You say you cut 26" off or so. When the motor is folded up, it takes up some space into the aft compartment. When the profile of the motor is dropped down, there is just about the same amount of length above the mount. Have you thought of, or would it be possible to cut that part out as well to bring the motor head closer to the mount? Just an aesthetics thing to me :D Awesome setup none the less.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes there is still plenty of room to cut more of the shaft off and thought about doing it but the way that it is now I have room to make a few adjustments and it helps in tilting the motor back down for take out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How about turning the head around when you cut the shaft. Then your steering would be proper. :idea:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually the head has nothing to do with stearning it just a reference as to which way the motor is pointed. By switching the wires around at the gear box swapped the direction to make it work right now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

just think if you added I-Pilot or even Co-Pilot you could move your Minn-Kota into the next dimension!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I totally agree not saying it won't happen just not in the cards quite yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pm sent about the motor