Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone.
My dad and I have the opportunity to buy a hobie 14T. However, I am worried about the weight capacity since I am around 185 lbs and he is like 270 lbs. A hobie 14 would be too small right? We have an o'day daysailer II that we are cleaning up/ fixing that we would sell if we were to buy the hobie. Except I am hesitant because I feel the amount of cew weight is too much for the 14T. What are your recommendations (even though everyone is probably hobie biased here) ;) haha

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a lot of weight for a 14. It'll still sail but won't be near the fun. Look at a 16 or 18.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With over 450 lbs your hulls will be mostly underwater and the boat will barely move.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a 14T last summer as my first Hobie and while I loved it I constantly had to watch my balance as my 240lbs solo was already pushing the weight capacity. That reason was the main reason I traded up to the 16 and I like it much better.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in a similar boat :lol: ... I am 220lbs and would like to take my wife and kids... new to hobies and gonna try next week.
Best of luck,
Kurt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

that is where I am at, I weigh 240lbs, I want to get back into sailing and teach my wife and kids, they all weigh under 130 each, at most. i would be taking one out at a time until they learn to sail. I am not worried if the boat cannot race at that weight, I just want to cruise around the lake. I like the idea of the 14 due to price and no second sail to deal with, and my oldest and my wife could learn to upright it. I know we would be better off weight wise with a 16 but for now will a 14 due? i also found one in my area relatively cheap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="cavi"]that is where I am at, I weigh 240lbs, I want to get back into sailing and teach my wife and kids, they all weigh under 130 each, [quote]

Your total crew weight will be too much for the 14. It will barely resemble sailing. In any waves at all, it will be more like a submarine. Sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was ~ 240#, my wife was 1/2 that, 16 years ago when we first bought our old H14 non-turbo - our first "real" purchase together when we were just dating. We didn't know any better, and managed to have an incredible time with the boat, regardless of weight.

Yes: she'd porpoise quickly with my fat a$$ forward at crew, but in heavy wind/waves I'd helm and get to the stern. We did several 20-30 mile days on that boat and loved it.

Sold it 7 years ago to a friend who sailed it once and parked it, and this evening we're dragging the (free) old boat home**. I'll spend some time this fall/winter rebuilding and repairing and we'll have more fun starting next summer. The pipe dream is to buy a 2nd Hobie, rig both with turbos, and do some solo match racing after work near the house. I'm down to 225+/- and she's about the same as she was, so advantage her, but the H14 is a fun small simple boat that can be had cheap.

** That's why I'm here - I can hardly wait to drag the bones of that old tired boat home and start making her right again, and started looking around. I've come a long way in 16 years, and plan to go a little overboard making the boat like new; I was going to start building a trial Tornado this fall when the shop's clear again, but might clean up the 14 first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 240 and I sailed with a friend (200lbs) on his 14 twice, without a problem. There was no hull flying going on, but we did have a great time. Breeze was about 8+ knots.