Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am a new TI owner and am trying to decide whether to get tramps.

The advantages are clear (such as a place to store gear and the ability to provide counterweight to heeling).

However, I was wondering about possible disadvantages. For example, can the tramps cause uplift in strong winds and destabilize the TI? Are there other possible disadvantages?

Also, is it recommended that one get a sprayskirt to go with the tramps if you are sailing in rough waters?

Thanks for your help, and for all of the help i have received in this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm a newer owner than you, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt :)

Last Saturday, we were totally saturated by water coming over and into the boat during 20-25 MPH winds and probably close to 3 foot waves.

This Saturday, I installed both trampolines and Kayaking Bob's spray skirts and again had wind and wave nearly as strong as last Saturday.

It was as different of an experience as night and day. We stayed much dryer. The wife also was much more comfortable getting out on the windward tramp which leveled the boat out a lot.

If you want to get together to check these items out in person before you purchase, send me a PM and maybe we can find a meeting place this weekend - I'm on the other side of the peninsula from you in Lewes, DE.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi fellas. Even though I've had AI's for about 3 years now, this will be my 1st season with tramps. As you said the advantages are pretty self evident however there is apparently 1 disadvantage you should be aware of. There hasen't been a recorded capsize of an AI or TI without tramps. The only recorded capsizes of AI's and TI's have been with tramps. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone. The capsizes I have read about were mainly due to a change of tack or gybe where the wind can get in under the tramp and magically transform it into an unwanted sail. I have used mine a couple of times but I reckon that unless I'm going on a trip, and need the storeage, I'll leave them at home in the shed.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter wrote:
Hi fellas. Even though I've had AI's for about 3 years now, this will be my 1st season with tramps. As you said the advantages are pretty self evident however there is apparently 1 disadvantage you should be aware of. There hasen't been a recorded capsize of an AI or TI without tramps. The only recorded capsizes of AI's and TI's have been with tramps. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone. The capsizes I have read about were mainly due to a change of tack or gybe where the wind can get in under the tramp and magically transform it into an unwanted sail. I have used mine a couple of times but I reckon that unless I'm going on a trip, and need the storeage, I'll leave them at home in the shed.

If you use the tramps and aren't willing or able to hike out on to them in higher winds then you can probably capsize. But when you (or your passenger) hike onto them when in high winds the boat stays more stable than when staying in the seats with no tramps attached :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Agree with the above comments.

Either way buy some extra buckles and carry them with you on the boat. I have already had 3 break. Been trying to figure out a way (perhaps someone else has solved this) a way to reinforce all the straps. Not a big deal I suppose, unless you have gear out on those tramps.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Whoa, you're an early riser TX (or a night owl like me). Please advise where your tramp buckles are breaking (photo?) and the circumstances causing the failure.

I haven't had this experience but would hate to be unprepared.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, again way too early!!!

I will try to take some pics but from memory.

One broke when I briefly stepped on the tramp, 2 or 3 have broke with my wife out on the tramps.

All have broke this season - have had tramps on boat for about 3/4 of year.

One broke on the sewn side - still need to fix that one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think at the end of the season I will take the tramps off and store them inside. Maybe that will help prolong the plastic buckles?
Does a stainless steel buckle exist? I will have to look.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Something like this:
http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Cam_Straps_p/cs1d.htm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or this: http://salamanderpaddlegear.com/product ... cam-buckle

Anybody try this approach? Think this would be much more reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

how about a 'Double D'?
They are used a lot in motorcycle helmets :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use aluminium cam buckles on my (non-Hobie) tramps and they are good and strong.
@Slaughter. I haven't heard about any TI's capsizing due to the tramps, but I don't always read the TI posts. The tramps are certainly more advantageous on the TI than on the AI, as there is often a passenger to hike out on the tramp and I imagine it's possible to paddle from the back seat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Very easy to paddle from rear seat of TI with tramps deployed.
They stow very nicely on the forward aka when not in use, if you roll them up good and tight they even fit in the aka storage bag so there is no need to remove them once fitted.

They are very comfortable to lay on when we beach it for lunch. I use a couple of West Marine floating seat cushions for pillows and also so the kids can sit a little higher off the water when they get cold. I cant see a down side to the tramps except the expense to get them!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Chrisj and Tiki Tak.
Tramps are an essential accessory on the TI to maximise its versatility and there are few disadvantages. Getting a passenger to hike out on them improves the sailing experience and the increase in deck area is very useful. Splashing is reduced and I would argue that the tramps add to the safety as they hold the aka together, preventing a collapse if the aka brace bolt snaps (the main cause for a capsize).
Disadvantages:
-increased setup/packup times
-must be undone to collapse aka
-passenger can't easily see water,
I have used tramps on both AI's and TI's and have never had a capsize. Furling the sail and releasing the mainsheet quickly is the best defense against a possible capsize but you can always roll them up if the wind gets over 25knots. The big negative on the AI's is that you can't use the paddle but this doesn't apply to the TI. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

isn't it a possibility to lace the tramps on with (stretchy) rope just like the tramps on the Hobie Cats? Or is this alot more time consuming? (I never laced a Cat, only my shoes :lol: )