Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 5 foot by 10 foot utility trailer that I would like to add cradles to for trailering my tandem island when I get it. I just ordered a cradle set and am planning to mount them on each end of the trailer. That should support the bow and the mid section of the boat. If the boat is 18 feet long, that will leave 8 feet extending past the trailer. Is that going to be a problem for the boat? I am concerned about the 8 feet of the boat bouncing and stressing .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd be concerned with that much overhang on a TI.
On my trailer I have the cradles and a bow support. The rear cradle is located under the rear handle leaving about 5 feet unsupported. I noticed deformation and added a stern support as well.
If you can you would be better off to add a full length frame to your trailer which would also give you a better location for the lights/licence plate. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If the trailer is 5x10 I assume you should also have a tongue extending in front of the trailer for the hitch. My trailer is a 4x8 and the hitch receiver is about 3.5 feet in front of the main frame (it's a Harbor Freight foldable trailer). I also bought an 18" hitch extension with step from Harbor Freight. Instead of the TI Cradles I used a variation of Dogslife's idea and just mounted a 4x8 sheet of plywood over the main trailer deck, bolted on two 8' 4x4's (they extend back about 2' behind the trailer) and then attached a 4x8 sheet of polyethylene privacy lattice I bought at Lowes for about $20. This leaves my TI overhang about 4-5 feet which is no problem. I would not want an 8' overhang since the trailer will have no tongue weight because the center of the TI will be just one foot from the rear of the trailer.

Total cost of the trailer was about $400. There are a few posts showing details. Let me know if you'd like more info.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What I like best about my design is the hull and Amas are fully supported over an 8' length so there's no worry about deformation. I don't have a winch but the TI is so light it's easy to pull it onto the trailer (I do have to step in the water about a foot deep to guide it onto the trailer. Could be a problem in very cold weather but sailing a TI is all about getting wet anyway! Guess I'll be investing in a dry suit before winter...

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really don't know what you're getting at. my trailer looks like Image
so I have no idea why you're referring to the tongue. I can't imagine the setup you're describing or what use privacy lattice could be in supporting my hull.

But you do give me the idea that I could bolt a sheet of heavy plywood on the end of my trailer, extending to the rear to add length and support to the hull. If I bolted 3 feet of a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood to the end of my trailer, that would give 5 feet hanging over the edge and would probably be pretty rigid. Then there would only be 3 feet of hull unsupported.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The bow of the TI will extend well past the front of your trailer bed. Here are two posts that show my trailer:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35829

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35829&start=15

Just keep the center of gravity in front of the wheels on your trailer.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You must not be seeing my picture. My bow will only go as far forward as the rails of my trailer...it will hang off 8' past the rear end.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why not modify the front rails so you can slide the boat up just behind the trailer jack. Looks like you can gain about 3' and not interfere with hitting the tow vehicles bumper when on a sharp turn. Or you can mount the supports level with the rails and still gain the 3'. I have roughly the same size utility trailer and this is probably what I will do to mine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

OK, now you're talking, I could make some risers out of 2 X something lumber to mount my cradles on.

I understand that the cradles should be 67" apart. That's only 5 and a half feet. That leaves 6.25 feet on each end unsupported! Is that right? That doesn't seem much better than the 8 feet I was gonna have just laying it in the trailer on the cradles....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Or you can attach 3/4" plywood across the top of the side rails, mount two 4x4 and the lattice and you'll have the same rig I built with the benefit of a lot of storage underneath. That will cost a lot less than the Hobie cradles and provides more support.

The big drawback I'm seeing with your trailer is the boat will sit up too high to allow you to load it back onto the trailer from the water without lifting it quite a bit.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're right. Too high and I don't wanna tie up my utility trailer like that. I already have the cradle set, so I am gonna repurpose my Hobie Bravo trailer.

Can someone address the measurement concerns in my post above?

I understand that the cradles should be 67" apart. That's only 5 and a half feet. That leaves 6.25 feet on each end unsupported! Is that right? That doesn't seem much better than the 8 feet I was gonna have just laying it in the trailer on the cradles....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Those are the dimensions I recall.

Check out the photos in this post and you'll see that with the cradles are mounted under the stronest part of the hull (near the drive wells) and leave about 6' on each end:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=37122

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, that's almost the exact layout of my Bravo trailer, except I have a toy tube running straight down the middle that I will have to bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's my Bravo trailer

and with the Bravo and the rollers removed. The red lines are where I propose to have supports welded that I can mount my cradles to. I'm about to find me a welder as soon as they wake up...

And here's the Bravo's new home til I can find someone to give me a few hundred for it or take it to the landfill.