Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: underwaterlights
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok new 2 this I have had my PA for a few months and mostly fish at night! has any one put any thing like ocean led's or something like them under there PA?

Post subject: Re: underwaterlights
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out HydroGlow Led's, you can't beat the price.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was thinking the same thing Snooker....but I wonder what effect the lights would have on the drag of the boat. I would think that a remote light (such as what TGF has) would be better. I would be scared to install Ocean LEDs or anything on the keel of a plastic kayak due to the insufficient support of it from flexing, bending, etc with either temperature or structure contact. Therefore, drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat doesn't sound like fun to me.

Maybe one option is, find some small LEDs that might fit through the scupper holes that you could just feed through if you're wanting to do something like that. You may not even need to snake them through as the reflection from the light within the scupper may produce enough to get bait fish swarmin' around you.

Otherwise, you could go for a no hole mounting method like Maybe Marine Goop to practically glue them to the hull, but then you have wires running all over, etc.

Plasma LED sells a Marine LED light for $19.99 which has a 4.5cm front with a 3cm base (equals approx 1 3/16") which may fit into a scupper. Not sure how big the scupper holes are. :D

Just my $.02

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ty! temperature was one of the main things I had on my mind!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did not put lights on my PA, but i did place waterproof leds on my revolution made by Wildcat lighting. Here is my previous post.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34775&hilit=night+fishing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did not put lights on my PA, but Idid place waterproof leds on my revolution made by Wildcat lighting. Here is my previous post. Temps are not a issue. Please note pictures were taken in a swimming pool but the lights are very bright.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=34775&hilit=night+fishing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks!!!! Went 2 Wildcat lighting they look like they really got it all set up perfect! just wonder how water proof and salt proof they will be ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey SeTex Drifter ty for the pic. Do you have any pic of the way u hooked up the battery to the lights ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone just placed an LED light in the hull pointed downward laying flat on the hull and see how much light will penatrate the hull and disfuse into the water? I know a bright flashlight in the hull of a red outback will be seen at a good distance above the water line. This is just a question without me trying it out myself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skinner- I was thinking the same thing.

There are plenty of cheap/powerful battery-powered LED worklights we could just put in a clear bag.
ImageImage

This fluorescent floodlight model puts out LOTS of light for hours.

Don't know about the PA, but a couple of these would throw a decent light through a yellow/red hull. Probably enough for shallow fishing and navigation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Snooker,
I have the Wildcat lighting setup on my PA and I LOVE IT! I have had shrimp jumping into my kayak and since I live close to the coast, I mostly fish saltwater. They have held up well. My ONLY concern is for the switches more than the lights as they are really small. But so far so good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.reel-lites.com/

Talk to Bob Glenn and tell him what you want. He put together a 100 light array for me that lives in a 7/8" tube that slides through my scupper. I bring it up to flush with the bottom while I am travelling and my PA light up like a jackle lantern.
The lights work great and last forever.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Boiler Thanks! I think I am going with Wildcat they got it down right.I have been putting my hydro glow tied to the side of my PA works real well just dot like the way I have to put the 12v battery on the back plus putting it on every night is not fun!!!! How dose the battery hooked up with the wildcat?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I power mine with a 12 volt deer feeder battery. This is the time of year to buy them! I keep it in a Plano hard plastic box and use a 12v plug setup. The deer feeder batteries last for a minimum of 3-4 trips and would likely last longer, but I don't push it. Pm me if you'd like pix and I'll try to figure out how to post them. If I can't figure it out, we'll work something out.

Be blessed,

Boiler