Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Tiger Main Lock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally rigged my new (used 2003) Tiger for the first time last weekend. Went well but struggled with locking the main pin into the top of the mast. Anyone have any words of advice?
Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure the hole is clean on the top and make sure there are no edges on the sail hook. If you sand the hook down a little it will latch and unlatch alot easier.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you following the directions on p. 15 of "http://2010.archive.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/tigerassy.pdf"?

You probably have figured out which direction to turn the mast when the sail has been hoisted all the way to the top, so will recognize that, contrary to the directions in the above manual, which show the pin on the left side of the luff track, the pin and halyard should be opposite of what is shown in order to line up the pin with the hole by turning the mast rotator bar toward the left; i.e.:

Pin on the right side of the luff track, halyard through from left to right, rotate the mast to the left when the sail reaches the top. That works well for me.

The other key points:

-If the sail is wind-vaning too far toward the left, it will not be possible to rotate the mast sufficiently to line up the pin with the hole.

-When the sail has reached the top, don't let up on the halyard at all before rotating the mast as far as possible toward the left.

-After the step above, pull down on the sail while rotating the mast slowly back toward the right. You should hear a satisfying "ka-chunk" when the pin drops into the hole.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another tip for getting the main up and down easily is adding a bit of lube to the small halyard block at the top of the mast. Mine was being a total pain in the ass, really hard to get the main up. I thought the luff track was dirty, the sail wasn't Sailcoat-ed enough. Anyway, turns out a bit of bearing grease on the pin inside that halyard pulley really made the sail go up and down much easier. Must have been metal on metal, with a pretty decent load on it. Give that a try, might help things too.

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152