Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Going to Ocean City, Md. We have a TI and AI on trailer but hotel has no room for toys. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm about 30 miles north of OC proper, but the insane amount of traffic lights would make it a very inconvenient place to drop your trailer. Not so bad if your hotel is on the north end of OC.

There are several boat storage lots around that are pretty much empty this time of year. I don't know the names of any, but a google search for said lots may turn something up. Local marinas may be able to steer you in the right direction also.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank's Herb I found a place to park the trailer in OC. Another question good place to launch and sail?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

seaarrow wrote:
Going to Ocean City, Md. We have a TI and AI on trailer but hotel has no room for toys. Any suggestions?

Hey M8
May I suggest that if you are looking for space in a Marina, do not mention that both crafts are tris. You'll get one of 2 responses from Marina Managers that may not know that you can fold in your amas:

!) Sorry, we'd love to have you stay with us but we don't have room for a boat that is as wide as it is long in our berths.

2) (Cha-ching!) no problem, we can manage you, but it will be twice the price of our usual daily rates.

We on this forum may know the differences. Simply tell the marina owner you are looking for day space (or whatever time you need) based on an 18 foot and a 16 foot kayak tied to each other. (also INSIST that you will not be rafted to...and require a private berth. (it could have serious consequences if boats that weigh 5 times plus your displacement get tied to your vessels after they come in way after dark)

Trust me, you'll save yourself a ton of money..and damages.

(Updated, Considering the bad, bad habits of Irene after she hit NC, you may want to reconsider your destination, there may be a lot of Marinas and Launch Ramps that are damaged or unusable.) Good Luck, Friend.

Regards
Trinomite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't worry about Irene. She was MUCH more a media circus than storm around here.

I live 5 miles from the coast and have had many nor easters cause much more problems than she did.

A quote from OC: "But the highest recorded gusts of wind on instruments at 59th Street were in the 50 to 59 mph range, according to Frank Donato, Ocean City's emergency management coordinator." This was on the coast, was rare for a legitimate 50+ reading inland.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool, Buddy
Then we can disregard the 'Irene' factor and simply make sure that he can find a good berth without worry.
Regards
Fred