Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We bought one of each - the outback for the wife and the Adventure for me. (Thanks for the valuable input from the community a month or so ago - they have been as much fun as we hoped!)

I notice that the OB makes a slap slap noise even in calm water. What I see is that the rounded shoulders on either side, (about where your knees are), seem to rise and fall out of the water.

I guess this isn't a major criticism but I like the relative quiet of the Adventure.

Is there a fix for this? I guess a little ballast forward might "settle" the boat into the water enough to minimize the slap but it would seem a shame to carry more weight than necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The slapping noise is the secondary stability system. Yes to defeat it you will have to add more weight. You could get the sidekick and add even more stability but in a chop it would still slap.

Did you get the fish version?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

alexcomp wrote:
I notice that the OB makes a slap slap noise even in calm water. Is there a fix for this?

You can also hear the water rippling past in sync with the pedaling strokes on the Mirage Classic. I think it's a byproduct of the old hull style. I suspect you might diminish it with weights but doubt that it can be eliminated.

Most people wouldn't notice it -- until stepping into the Adventure which, by comparison, is downright stealthy in smooth water. It's really great for sneaking up on people -- and wildlife! You've probably also noticed some other differences: against swells, turn radius, dryness, paddling comfort, etc. Between the two, you should have all the bases covered. For example, when fishing, your wife will be better able to bait the hooks with those wide trays while you can assist by holding the rods.... You can see that hers is the more important kayak. :wink:

Post subject: OMMM
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's the sound of me quietly moving on the Coosa River with no distraction like a noisy boat slapping the water.

Grrakk Grakk is the sound of the Grey Heron that I snuck up on with the Adventure.

Whap Whap Whap could be an X-rated movie OR the sound of the Outback SUV bouncing up and down on dead calm water.

It may be the way it is but I don't have to like it.