Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have problems with the steering becoming more difficult the longer the boat is in the water? When I start out, the steering easy, as the day progresses, it becomes much harder to move the rudder lever.

Also, can any one explain why the boat always wants to turn into the wind or current even though the rudder is positioned in the opposite way? Once I get a head of steam it responds reasonably well, but it takes time to go in the same direction as the wind and current.

thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know about the steering issue you mention, but the problem you describe with turning into the wind is a common complaint. The reason the PA rounds up into the wind is because the "center of lateral resistance" is located forward of the "center of lateral effort" in a sideways wind. Basically, your body acts as a sail and catches more wind than the hull of the boat. The Mirage Drive acts as a fulcrum in the water, and since the wind is blowing sideways at your body behind that, the boat rotates around the Mirage Drive into the wind. Potential fixes could include adding more keel beneath or behind your seat or a larger rudder, either of which would compromise the easy launching and transporting attributes of the PA. Alternatively, you could try adding something to catch the wind way up front to balance the wind your body catches in the back (think short-masted wind sock, etc). If drift fishing, try separating the pedals in order to bring the Mirage Drive fins up against the hull as this should move the center of lateral resistance further aft and help alleviate the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's certainly good advice. The only thing I'd like to add is that folks that haven't spent much time in boats often expect them to behave as something other than... boats.

I remember a handful of PA owners complained about how their PA's wouldn't hold course, didn't respond to the rudder, etc.. There was nothing wrong with the steering on their PA's, they either just didn't understand that boats don't steer like cars or hadn't spent enough time getting used to how their PA handled.

No idea why your PA steering toggle gets stiffer or more difficult to steer as the day goes on, but I'd guess that as things warm up something is expanding and starting to bind. You might check to make sure that your steering toogle/handle isn't rubbing the support below it. If not, then move on to the inside of the steering mechanism behind the seat. At some point you should find the stiff spot and then you'll be able to do whatever is required to rectify it. But you've got to find that point, first.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

coyote5 wrote:
Does anyone have problems with the steering becoming more difficult the longer the boat is in the water? When I start out, the steering easy, as the day progresses, it becomes much harder to move the rudder lever.
thanks,

I've noticed this issue as well and it seems to correlate with the increasing temperature. I have been able to fix the issue by making small adjustments with the steering line tension knob. It's not surprising that when I end the day with the steering line adjustment loosened up for the warm temps, the steering will then feel too loose when I hit the water and the temps are cooler the next morning. Just make sure to setup your steering to allow for some adustment in either direction and you should be able to make small changes with the tension knob to make the steering feel like you want it throughout the day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I've noticed this issue as well and it seems to correlate with the increasing temperature. I have been able to fix the issue by making small adjustments with the steering line tension knob.

Dead on. That is what the tension knob is for. This is an issue with older boats which have the steering attached to the seat. That system uses tubes to direct the lines under the seat and back to the hull/ Those tubes do shrink and expand with heat. That tensions or loosens the lines. Adjusting with the knob will compensate for those changes.

Quote:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

coyote5 wrote:
Also, can any one explain why the boat always wants to turn into the wind or current even though the rudder is positioned in the opposite way? ,

I have noticed this problem with th quick response. My solution is to grab the paddle and give one quick pull to turn the "nose" of the yak in the direction I want it and take off. The PA is not a yak, it is a "fishing platform". You get stablility in exchange for agility??? Worth every penny to get to the fish.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks to all that replied. Pro angler owners are really a nice bunch of helpful folks.

Coyote5 :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed this issue as well and it seems to correlate with the increasing temperature. I have been able to fix the issue by making small adjustments with the steering line tension knob.

Dead on. That is what the tension knob is for. This is an issue with older boats which have the steering attached to the seat. That system uses tubes to direct the lines under the seat and back to the hull/ Those tubes do shrink and expand with heat. That tensions or loosens the lines. Adjusting with the knob will compensate for those changes.

Quote:

You just need to make sure you setup your lines to allow for some adjustability either way. If I remember right, my steering came setup initially with the adjustment knob at neutral. This meant that either direction I turned the knob, it tightened the lines. The steering line just passes through a metal post inside the steering mechanism and then wraps around the post when you turn the knob. I had to untie the lines from the steering drum under the cover at the back of the boat and then turn the line tension adjustment knob to wrap the line around the metal post once. This gives me a full turn of the knob to loosen the tesion on the lines as well at the abilility to increase the tension. Then I went through the process of centering the rudder and the steering knob and reconnecting the lines to the steering hub. If you don't put at least a single turn of line on the adjustment post, then it will only tighten the tension either way you turn the knob. I hope this makes sense!

If you have not looked at the inside of the steering control, I have some pictures posted here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22285.

TDK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings All
I too have had these problems with the steering and it does not matter how much I adjust the the steering mechanism it has now become so tight that its impossible to turn. I have a 2010 model and have contacted the dealer whom I purchased it through and they are also perplexed as how to rectify the problem.

I do live in a cold climate area therefore its quite possible the tubes have contracted around the steering cord. Would it be advisable to upgrade to the current 2012 steering system perhaps or does anyone else have some suggestions I could try?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Used to have that problem too. I upgraded to the new steering and the problem is gone. The PA also steers much easier with the upgrade IMHO!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the problem is the cable, then the "new" steering system is just the old steering system in a slightly different location. You'd want to replace the offending cable - no need to go to any extremes.

If you feel mechanically adept, remove the steering drum and disassemble it. Remove the lines and pull them manually and see if you can determine if the problem is indeed within one or both of the cables themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
If the problem is the cable, then the "new" steering system is just the old steering system in a slightly different location. You'd want to replace the offending cable - no need to go to any extremes..

I'm not sure this is correct. I believe the steering retrofit kit does way with the steering lines running through the plastic tubes. Am I wrong about that?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know for sure - I'm simply going by what I was able to see in a newer model.

But if the original poster wants to find the source of his problem, it might be helpful to eliminate specific items one at a time in order to find the offending part or parts. What we do know, is that the original steering system was not inherently flawed nor troublesome. So I'd look for the specific piece that's causing the problem and fix that. It shouldn't be necessary to install a completely new steering system.