Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger Rig Tension
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings all you USA Hobie sailors, my name is Ian and I sail in the UK ,I have just puchased a Tiger ,having come from the Spitfire Cat and am trying to find out how to tension the rigging.
On the Spitfire and on the Dart 18 this is done via a short rope that links the forestay wire to the bridle wires, obviously on the Tiger, with the furling mechanism, this is not the case,would be grateful for any replies.
Regards, Ian. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

On the Tiger the mast rake is set using the stay adjuster on the fore stay that pins to the jib furler. Set your rake by attaching a small line to one of the trap wires long enough that when you swing the trap wire forward you can hold the small line down to the clevis pin that attaches the bridle to the hull. Holding the small line at the point at which it touched this pin, swing the line towards the back of the boat and find the point where it intersects the deck - or the rudder in the locked up position. We set our boat up with the intersection point right at the transom (317 lb crew weight, light to moderate winds).

Rig tension is accomplished using the adjusters on the side stays. One person dangles off the trap wire whilst the other pins the shroud in the appropriate hole. We run about 18-22 on the new style Loos tension gauge.

You can also rig a topping lift using the main halyard and then travel out to one side and use the main sheet system to apply pressure on the rig while you alter the position of the pin in that side stay. Then repeat on the other side.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The 18 to 22 value, is that pounds?

The reason that I ask is that I have access to a cable tensiometer used for aircraft cable.

Also if this is accurate what is the tension used on the (Tiger) diamond wires?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In California we are setting the rake a bit further back. From the pin on the bridle connection, mast facing forward, we run it to the second from the top screw on the rudder gudeon plate.

Diamond wire tension is 700 to 800 lbs on the older style Loos Gauge (not the one with rollers). It registers #47 on that device. I cannot even read that high on the newer roller device.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rig Tension

I noticed responses about how tight the rig should be, But what are the draw backs of having the rig too loose? Or just not as tight as mentioned before.

Thanks for any reply
Mike