Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Tuning the Turbofin tension adjustment can make a noticable difference. This morning I ran my 2.4 mile course (light wind) in just under 26 minutes (5.6 average mph). Previously, with maximum tension I did 28 minutes (5.1 mph). For comparison, my best time on the standard fins was 32 minutes (4.5 mph). So with a little tuning, the Turbos are easily cruising 20% faster than the stock units. I believe Offroad showed a similar improvement in his initial test.

Maximum speed today was 6.5 on the tube (about 7.8 mph actual) on smooth water, no wind.

There is certainly more potential than these figures indicate. Anyone with actual leg muscles and a little endurance should be able to do noticably better. But as a comparison, this speaks to the power and efficiency of the new fin when tuned up a bit. Most people should find their improvement to be comparable. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner were you using the sail also?

Your legs must be in better shape than mine for the two and a half mile course. With the June gloom upon us I have been on Lakes for fishing in the morning fog on my paddle kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

OffRoad wrote:
Roadrunner were you using the sail also?

The "light winds" were actually light head winds -- sail wouldn't have been much help. :lol:

Quote:
Your legs must be in better shape than mine for the two and a half mile course. With the June gloom upon us I have been on Lakes for fishing in the morning fog on my paddle kayak.

I will admit to riding a bicycle occasionally back in the old days (old as in "I ain't no spring chicken").

I was looking at your Turbofin tension adjustment. Just for fun, try tightening them up enough to seat them a little further in the groove (about 1/8 to 3/16 in total) and see if it makes a difference. I found if the clews were getting too close to the edge of the sproket guard, the fins got a little sloppy.

If you get down to Lake Hodges, let me know; it's in my back yard. Open Wed., Sat., Sun. Perfect lake for kayaking -- Some people even fish here!8)