Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets see it...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all

I sail a Hobie 16 in Cape Town, South Africa...there is a good Hobie community here. This pic is of my Hobie on the Bot River Lagoon which is really great for Hobie Sailing..there are a few Hobies that sail on this body of water. The water levels play an important part in this and as you can see the lagoon is nice and full from our recent winter rains..the water level can recede a lot if the lagoon has been opened to the sea or if there has not been rain in a while..which makes it harder to get the Hobie to the water without a dolly! The pic also shows our rubber duck with a 15 HP engine which has proven invaluable in rescuing me twice already (once from strong wind where I capsized and could not right the Hobie alone) and once where I got stranded on the other side of the lagoon when the wind died suddenly leaving me stranded. Still having to sail solo until my family gets their confidence back up in me to join me again....on this particular day I rigged the Hobie completely alone and had a great day sailing and de-rigged everything myself....a LOT of fun. Still not at the level of trapezing yet...Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To keep a boat in good condition (especially if it's sailed in salt water) requires a lot of work. To Steve, I have a second mast (comp tip) that was given to me by John (on this thread) that I haven't used yet because I prefer the solid aluminum mast when flying the spi. Thanks again John! Maybe I'll see you this week-end if you're at the regatta !!! All the boats on this thread are marvelous and all of their owners are to be commended for their appearance..

David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ALL of these boats are super-nice, but I noticed they're also just sitting on the beach, let's see them in action! Flying a hull, flipping over or just cruisin'. I'm taking mine out Friday, don't expect a lot of wind though, but will be posting a picture later that night. Congrats on all of your Hobie's, keep them pic's coming, happy sailing!

[color=#4000FF]1974 Hobie 16 (Keepin 4 my sons)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is all I've got . . . .

Boring video . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvA_3_mW ... re=related

David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DavidBell47 - love the boat. Very cool. I have a couple of questions about the rigging.

1) I noticed something unique on your trapeze system, that they are held away from the sidebar by blocks, one attached to the hull and one to the stay adjuster. Did you drill through the lip on the hull? Was this a kit or a DIY? Looks great. I have a dual trapeze system, but the bungee wraps around the sidebar and its annoying when you're sitting on the tramp. I guess this system gives you ample room for lateral movement fore and aft?

2) At the rear, noticed a strap attached to the lip of the hull. I presume that's for hiking out? It also looks handy for moving the boat around on the beach or trailer.

3) THE SPINNAKER!! I have a spinnaker kit that has been sitting in a box for a month now, I haven't had the time or patience to begin the installation process. Did you install it or have it done? Is this the Hobie kit from Europe? My instructions arrived in French, sacre bleu! I would greatly appreciate a chance to talk with you about the kit and the spin's operation on the water.

4) Side rails - is that marine carpet or the non-slip rubber? Any thoughts on the benefit of one over the other? Any problems with adhesion, peeling?

Again, awesome looking boat!

Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pirate flying a hull.

Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

very nice photo! I really like your sails, too.

I wish I were sailing...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

August 28th at Codorus State Park, PA Image

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

motivated wrote:
DavidBell47 - love the boat. Very cool. I have a couple of questions about the rigging.

1) I noticed something unique on your trapeze system, that they are held away from the sidebar by blocks, one attached to the hull and one to the stay adjuster. Did you drill through the lip on the hull? Was this a kit or a DIY? Looks great. I have a dual trapeze system, but the bungee wraps around the sidebar and its annoying when you're sitting on the tramp. I guess this system gives you ample room for lateral movement fore and aft?

2) At the rear, noticed a strap attached to the lip of the hull. I presume that's for hiking out? It also looks handy for moving the boat around on the beach or trailer.

3) THE SPINNAKER!! I have a spinnaker kit that has been sitting in a box for a month now, I haven't had the time or patience to begin the installation process. Did you install it or have it done? Is this the Hobie kit from Europe? My instructions arrived in French, sacre bleu! I would greatly appreciate a chance to talk with you about the kit and the spin's operation on the water.

4) Side rails - is that marine carpet or the non-slip rubber? Any thoughts on the benefit of one over the other? Any problems with adhesion, peeling?

Again, awesome looking boat!

Thanks for the compliments.
In referrence to question #1, below are pics that give a better view of the system. It's over-kill I admit but it gives me total freedom while trapped out. The original system restricted my lateral movement plus, was beginning to wear on my rail-rug (Surefoot Eva Grip) from Murry's. I sail solo most of the time and having that freedom aft makes a big difference. I also didn't want to replace my rail-rug every year. Haven't had to replace it at all since the first installation and it still looks good. All I've done here is lengthen the bungee (by allowing it to cris-cross across the beam of the boat through a series of micro-blocks). That keeps the trap line snug and allows me, or the crew, to go as far aft as we need to.

Question #2 - Yep, those are foot straps. Used for anchoring to the stern of the boat while trapped or to aid in the boat's movement when on the beach.

Question #3 - The spinnaker is the most fun thing I've done to my boat. Everything else was an an upgrade to something that already existed but this was a complete add-on !!! This is not the kit. A good friend of mine built the snuffer and I freelanced the rest. I studied all the plans and started hanging out with the F-18 skippers during the regattas. There are some unique concerns w/ the H16 to make sure that the jib travler sheet and the spi halyard don't inappropriately intersect. A lot of the diagrams I've found lack detail and some of them are down right inaccurate. Bought all the blocks and cleats from "West Marine" and I'm using a 5o5 spinnaker til I can find a Hobie Spi or at least the dimensions of one so I can have it made. Anything I can do to help you, just let be know.

Question #4 - I think I answered this in Question #1. It's called Surefoot Eva Grip (30-2103) from Murrays. I can't compare it to anything else cause it's all I've used but all I can say is that I put it on about four years ago and it still looks the same. Of course, it doesn't have that bungee dragging across it either.

Hope this helps !!! :)

David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

here is from the maiden voyage only about 2 hours ago. everything went great can't wait to get back out there tomorrow. Sorry no hulls flying. I officially have about 6 hours of sailing experience so far but it will come.

Boy helpin me shove her off the beach

Girl and I going for a shake down:

ugly stained sails will get replaced eventually but for now I'm happy to finally be sailing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nice, but you need to get your main fully hoisted and the halyard clipped in. The cleat on the mast is not designed to carry the load.

It'll also give you more room underneath the boom.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep I noticed that and was fixed shortly after those pics were taken. At this point every second is a learning experience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sunday at the beach!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here is me and my boat. I haven't had my maiden voyage yet, but I hope to get out this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next