Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Port side A Frame
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am in my 3rd year with the Bravo and after being out in windy conditions my port side A frame gets loose. I think this is because of the luffing, but I want to hear from others who have also seen this. Most recent was last week after sailing on Barneget Bay in NJ in about 15 kts with gusts about 20-25 and some waves. I tighten it back down, but I am sure it gets weaker every time.

Post subject: Re: Port side A Frame
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Same problem. Love to dig into sea and swells which causes a lot of vibration. Bought the Bravo in June 2011, and lots of sailing this summer. Port side A-Frame anchor bolts/screws have come loose three times so far. First time, I tightened the bolts. Second time, I used a couple of drops of Loctite Threadlocker "Blue". Used up package. (Loctite used when boat first assembled -- Small container came with boat). Third time, I coated both bolts with Permatex Threatlocker "Blue" (same as Loctite, which I couldn't find here in Canada). It's held for the last few sails, so we'll see. If that doesn't work, I'm going to "Red". ("Red" is advertized as permanent, "Blue" is advertized as medium strength.) If you use Loctite, suggest you give it some time to cure (see their website on curing times). Another point: My Bravo has two bolts/screws on each side to anchor the A-Frame. They require an Allen Wrench, and a small container of Loctite was included with instructions to use a few drops on each screw during set-up. An older manual on the Hobie website shows Robinson screwdriver screws anchoring the A-Frame with no mention of using Loctite, so appears that A-Frame loosening was a problem, and decision made to strenthen anchoring system. (Could be wrong on this.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update to my post (above): Been out a few more times in good sea and swells, with lots of "pounding" and A-Frame vibration. Port side hex screws (need Allen wrench) have not come loose, so perhaps coating them with "Blue" will work, but we'll see. Regarding, the older Hobie Bravo manual which is PDF'd on this forum website, looks like the screws are Phillips head. So again, I suspect A-Frame loosening was a problem, so decision made to strengthen the anchoring system using hex screws with a few drops of Loctite Blue (although as I have pointed out, the last time I coated the threads with Blue because a few drops didn`t work.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will look for the "blue" and next time it loosens apply and rescrew... Thanks