Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spinnaker Sheet Length
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just picked up a spinnaker for my H18SX and was wondering if anyone had any input for the sheet length? I know it all depends on how I route the sheet, but if anyone could get me started on how they route it and how long their sheet is I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks guys!

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Stock spin kit called out 60' of 5/16".

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt, I knew you'd have an answer for me. What does it say for the halyard length? I'm probably going to run it as a snuffer line too, but the stock length would help me get started.

Thanks man!

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

92' of 1/4" straight core poly

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, is that for the snuffer line too, or just the halyard? Shoot for 92' it's got to be for both.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

That dimension was used pre-snuffer. Halyard plus the tack pull out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gotcha, thank Matt.

Does anyone have an idea of what that would be with the continuous snuffer line? I guess if no one knows I'll just go buy some cheap line from HD and rig it in the driveway.

Thanks guys, this forum is so much help!

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depends on your snuffer set up and your spin. Also your mast tang height and how you wish to rig the system. Many variables.

Is this an SX spin or one of Jeremys custom spins, F18 spin?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a standard SX spin, and will be running from the factory installed SX spin tang.

I suppose I'll just rig it with flag halyard, or clothesline and get the length from that. I'll post what I find. I was just hoping that I'd get a close estimate with the combo halyard/snuffer line.

Thanks guys,

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you have added snuff patches to that sail it will not snuff. The SX spin is designed to be run from the wings and tramp launched. It is a very full sail that may bunch up significantly while trying to get it to snuff.

What type of snuffer system are you going to use? Where are you attaching the blocks?

A continuous halyard/snuffer line is typically not used with that style of spin. I would suggest an endpole setup if you haven't allready purchased a snuffer. The endpole will give you more bag to work with. I would also use 3 snuff patches with the second and third patch closer together than the first and second. Fullness is closer to the foot and you will need to pull all of it into the bag with the head following. It may be very hard to snuff that spin with a mid-pole system.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're right, I still need to get the patches sewn on it. I have a friend that is selling me his pole and sock. I'm going for a longer 12' pole rather than the stock pole. The sock is made for the 12' pole and should help. It will snuff mid pole.

Do you have any advice on exactly where those patches should be sewn on for a stock 18? I was going to follow the advice I'd seen on here that said:

Quote:
To do it right follow these instructions for a 3 patch system:-

1. Measure the length of your chute/bag. Let’s say that it is 2.15m long.
2. On your kite mark the intersection point measured at 2.15m from the tack and the clew. This is your lower patch point.
3. Then measure 2.15 from the head to roughly the centre of the kite. This is the top patch.
3. Your middle patch simply goes at the halfway point between the top and bottom patches (hopefully there is less than 2.15m between each of the patches now!
If you get to step 3 and the distances are to large then you need to make your bag a bit longer and adjust your patch points accordingly. Not much cause the effect is 3 fold on the kite.

I know the official directions are to run the blocks off of the wings, I'm going to have to get everything set up before I make this decision. I'm a bit hesitant to run them from the wings as I don't want the loading to fatigue them and wear them out. I'm thinking of running them from the deck lip, similar to how the shroud is anchored through the lip if I'm not able to run them from the jib tracks. Again all of this will depend as I get the pole rigged.

If this isn't right, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much.

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those directions will work but that spin is going to be a pain to snuff midpole. The 12' pole will definately be an advantage with block placement. I would suggest you try running it from the shroud before making any additional holes in the lip. You might be able to run it from the jib track but I think it will not fly right that far in. The wings will get in the way if you come off the shrouds, especially if you have SX wings. My magnum wings are very close to being in the way and my blocks are in the deck 2" forward of the shrouds.

Are the other sailors in your group running SX spins or F18 spins, there is a huge difference in performance and size? The SX spin is so full that it will not beam reach well, forget driving it upwind at all. A F18 spin is much flatter and easier to fly at higher angles.

You may also want to consider a separate tack line and not use the pulley system. I prefer it that way, especially for racing. I have posted many pictures of my setup on this site, it may help you too look at some of those for ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not quite sure what he's running for a spin, he has a 21SE and it's huge. We were joking that it had about the same square footage as my sister's duplex.

I'm not too worried about the speed of launching and retrieving as I'm not a racer. If I do end up racing it's not going to be with the spin. Heck they want me to take my wings off too.

So I'm curious, I'm searching and can't find too many pics of your set up. Any chance you'd email them to me? I'd love to glean from what you've already figured out.

Thanks,

Adam