Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New boat?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am pretty new to sailing but have decided to take the plunge with a new, probably used, boat. I have been leaning toward a Hobiecat 16. I think it's an early 80's model. I do not have any aspirations of being a racer but will use it on the local lakes. I would appreciate any advise on pitfalls to avoid and areas of concern. I will be sailing by myself usually so I need to know if a fairly new sailor can handle the 16 solo or will I need a crew member. Any common flaws or defects in this boat to be looking for? Any year models that are preferred? Thanks for the help. I find the forums to be very helpful and look forward to hearing everybody's input.

Post subject: Re: New boat?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the asylum.

Boat advice, in no order nor complete:
1. Take the boat for a test ride, if possible, or at least rig it so you know it's complete and safe. No loose, broken, or missing parts.
2. Look for soft spots on the fiberglass hulls by gently pressing or knocking all about the hulls. If you knock and it is hard and has a good sound then it is OK. If you knock and you hear a muffled sound or you feel a soft bulge then the hull is delaminating and it is best to pass on the boat unless you know how to repair fiberglass.
3. Inspect the sails for holes.
4. Unless the seller knows how old the standing rigging is it is advisable to replace the shrouds, anchor bolts, and bridal tangs. If the boat is pre-1983 or '84 and with the original jib and you intend to keep the jib then you may want to have new shrouds made to the lengths of the existing shrouds. This is because new Hobie rigging is of different lengths than the old rigging and the new lengths will cause the old jib to flutter because its not cut for the new lengths.
5. Beware of buying work. If this is your first boat or first Hobie then to enjoy it the most look for one that doesn't need more than replacement of items which do wear out such as sails, running rigging, standing rigging, trampoline, and blocks. Don't buy a boat that needs fiberglass repair, has a dented mast (unless you know where to find a replacement), dented side rails, loose tramp frame, or irregular modifications. Look for a complete and stock boat.
6. Hobie 16s do not have common manufacturing flaws or years to avoid, but if you can find one post-1987 or post-1995 then all the better.

Sailing advice:
1. The 16 may be solo sailed but as a beginner it is advisable to go with a somewhat experienced crew in case you capsize so you have enough weight to right the boat. As a rule of thumb you'll need around 240 pounds and good technique to right a capsized 16.
2. Experienced sailors can rig a 16 alone but it is best with two. If the boat will be rigged on a trailer then two is best, but if the boat will be stored mast up then one can rig it.
3. Safety first. Be sure your equipment is in good condition so someone doesn't get hurt. Get the Hobie 16 Assembly Instructions and read them carefully. Read a good cat sailing book to learn how to handle the boat because the more you know the more fun you have.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the suggestions. I've read several articles on cat sailing but have not found a good book yet. I've been looking. Any suggestions? I'm a pretty athletic 55 year old. 6'04" and 255#. I still ride a bicycle 3000 to 3500 miles per year so I do keep in fairly good shape. Righting after a capsize may be doable but it looks like rigging by myself might be a little more than I'm able. What do you think of the H14? I would hate to buy a boat that I tired of in a year or two. I was sailing with a friend in his Catalina and couple of guys were out on their Hobies. The 16 seemed a lot faster.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few good books that I have not acquired yet, but have seen recommended and plan on getting

-Sailing from start to finish (revised edition) by Phil Bergman
-Racing from start to finish by Phil Bergman
-Catamaran Racing by Kim Furniss

These books are all used as references for the Hobie U which is also a very good read.

Also the Sailing Guide to Hobie 16(tuning guide) is good

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

LarryWCole wrote:
I'm a pretty athletic 55 year old. 6'04" and 255#. What do you think of the H14?
I think you would find your size would preclude the 14. Yes, you could sail it yourself, but as soon as you put another body on it, it would sail like a submarine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Same issues with rigging on the 14 or 16. You would enjoy the 16 more and at your size you should be able to right it solo. You will need a way to raise the mast and attach the forestay solo. Some type of winch/ginpole setup should work just fine. Solid masts are typically lighter than comptip masts, older 16s may not have the comptip.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another sailing source, and is free is Hobie University http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686 :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LarryWCole :
Have you thought about or looked at either the Adventure Island or Tandem Island. They both have the pedal mirage drive system which as a bicicle rider would be a definate advantage for you if the wind dies, or getting in and out of shore.

I have a Tandem Island and it's a nice sailer, it is definately not in the speed class of an H16, but it holds it's own sailng wise (satisfies my needs). Plus they are car topable, and can be used for many other things besides just day sailing, like fishing, scuba diving, river kayaking. We live near the ocean so during crab season we look like the guys on the deadliest catch hauling 10-15 crap traps stacked on the trampolines out to sea. They are also a great fishing platform if you are into that.

Our TI has a pretty good weight capacity (600 lbs), we have had 3-4 adults on ours with no difficulty (party barge). Better yet it's very easy to launch solo and is a very safe boat (really difficult to capsize) for beginner and expert sailers alike. If you are into camping and excursions, these are great boats for those type of activities as well. There is a 300 mile race down here every spring call the EC challenge put on by the Watertribe (http://www.watertribe.com) which is a very good example of an excursion. We have traveled many rivers all over the country, it's a very satisfying pasttime if you into outdoors type stuff. Bottom line and point I'm trying to make is the TI is one of the most versatile boats on the market today and can be used for just about anything you can think of. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm just describing what worked well for us, we are extremely happy with what we have.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for the info. Looks like I have a lot of reading ahead of me. You are all wonderful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I second the motion for you to get a TI, it's just so much fun and so many things you can do with it. Check out all the YouTube videos for Tandem Island.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The downsides to an AI or TI are:
1) Cost - there is no (or at best a very thin) used market. You're going to be buying new, and new will cost you $3,749 (AI) to $5,249 (TI) (list prices).
2) Passenger limitations - the AI carries only one person; the TI only carries two.