Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Tatoo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi-

Is there anyone out there with Wave sailing experience who has tried the new Hobie Tatoo? I wanted to know some specific comparison info please:

1. mount/dismount/transport: as easy as the Wave? One of the main reasons I bought my Wave was for this and for transporting it on top of a car. After looking at other cats that could be transported easily without a trailer, I was convinced that the Wave would be the most fun for what we wanted.

2. performance: We love our Wave but now would like more sail area, traveller, trapeze, etc.. I know you can customize the Wave but I would be interested in a performance comparison from someone who has sailed both the Tatoo and the Wave.

3. anything else: build quality, design, value, etc..

Thanks!
a Wave in Italy

Post subject: Re: Hobie Tatoo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What's a Hobie Tatoo? Same hulls as a Wave?
I do not think we have that boat in the USA. I think a race version of the Wave would sell fairly well, and people would buy the required upgrades to make existing Waves faster. Or make a totally different boat - use the same hulls but make the boat wider so it could handle more sail and a taller mast if needed (and boom).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is there anyone out there with Wave sailing experience who has tried the new Hobie Tatoo?

Not sold in the US.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As was written, the Tatoo is not sold in the US. I was hoping that maybe someone not in the US is also reading this. For those who have never heard of it, you can see it here: http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=78827

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Not sold in the US.

Why Not? That ROCKS!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Importation is very expensive. We also have our own list of products to develop and produce. Most of the stuff France does leans on the tech side of sailing. They tend to put lots of complicated adjustment systems on the boats. We know most people do not want that in a small recreational product. That is why the Wave and the Getaway are simple... and fun. You want more complicated stuff, you step up to the 16 and Wild Cat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Importation is very expensive. We also have our own list of products to develop and produce. Most of the stuff France does leans on the tech side of sailing. They tend to put lots of complicated adjustment systems on the boats. We know most people do not want that in a small recreational product. That is why the Wave and the Getaway are simple... and fun. You want more complicated stuff, you step up to the 16 and Wild Cat.

I can relate to that. I see a lot of nice boats online, and in the water, but I want 3 things, in this order. Simplicity, Durability, and Manufacturer support. Assuming it's got those three things, than I'll look to have the most fun from there. If I can have all the fun in the world in a complicated boat, but I don't use it because it's too complicated to rig or sail, then it's not for me.