Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am presently an owner of a Hobie 18SX, I am looking to purchase a 14 foot cat for my kids to learn how to sail on their own and to have a second one at our club. I have found one locally with a furling jib and a trailer for a very reasonable price of about 1500Cdn, I am not yet sure of the year, is there anything I should watch for when buying one of these. I am 6-5 and 225, would this be 2 small of a boat for me to take out on a windy day by myself?

Marty in Saskatchewan, Canada
2003 Hobie 18SX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a 14 Turbo. At 195 its not a lot of boat for me but I can right it on my own which is why I got it to sail solo. Its a little twitchy and difficult (impossible) to recover if you bury the bows. I travel out a little which makes it a little less squirrely. As for what to look for....the factory Turbo has a solid dolphin striker just like the H16. There are a lot of aftermarket "turbos"...some better than others. Hobie released a factory conversion kit and made it the only class legal conversion, presumably to kill off the rest of the aftermarket. All kits have a thick cable for a dolphin striker. There is probably nothing wrong with a uni conversion but I wouldn't pay top dollar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This hobie is an original 1985 turbo, replaced tramp and rigging lines, it sounds like a great deal for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have the boat at home now, the boat is an original, with a new tramp. The main is in very good shape, better then my 1990 hobie 16 was, the jib is average, showing its age from being furled a lot. The hulls are in great shape, need to be cleaned, rudders are very clean and lines are newer. I am used to the length of my 18, will be interesting to get used to this boat.

Marty
Prince Albert, Sask
1985 Hobie 14 Turbo
2003 Hobie 18SX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I started out cat sailing on '84 H14T last year and while I did like it quite a bit, I was never fond of how quickly it would react to every change in wind speed and weight placement. Probably had to do with being over ideal weight for it at my 235lbs. I now have a H16 that I enjoy much better as I have a little more reaction time and don't have to play the balancing act as much. I suspect you'll notice right away how quickly the H14T reacts as the biggest difference with your 18.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think my kids who are much lighter then I will have a better time with it. It will be interesting to see how it reacts to my 220 weight. I thought the 16 might be to much boat for them to learn with. The 18 is incredibly simple to sail once you get to know a couple of things about it.

Marty