Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi from Sydney Australia, I'm a newbie who is planning to buy a tandem island for
myself & wife. We've got our sights set on a rig like that below, which is a tandem with
custom road trailer by Boeing (australia), offered by a Hobie dealer.
We plan to tow it with a toyota corolla (1800cc), which has
450kg unbraked tow cap. Rig below is about 280kg when loaded.

I would appreciate some objective comments, in particular:

1) robustness of this kind of trailer on longer journeys. I intend to take it up
the coast, possibly afew hours drive, on occasions. Also, it will regularly need
to go on 20min - 45 min journeys to get to water.

2) Given that the whole thing is about 20 feet long, how easy is it to turn these things
at normal road junctions with a small car ? Do you need to take an extra wide arc
to prevent it cutting corners ? I have never used a trailer before, and I'm alittle
nervious about having such a long one.

3) Does this trailer look suitably equipped ? Would it be worth having another
cradle at the bow ? I will be storing the TI on the trailer also.

4) How easy is it to launch the boat off a trailer with these cradles ?
Would I need another cradle at the back, and/or rollers ?
Would it be best to carry it to shore in pieces and assemble for launch there?

5) Any other trailers / trailer manufactures in Australia you would recommend ?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~peterwalters/DSCF3909.JPG

http://members.iinet.net.au/~peterwalters/DSCF3912.JPG

Thanks all for assistance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome oceanmoves. :)
I saw that set up at Mona Vale last time I was there and was impressed by the quality. Ofcourse you get what you pay for and it is priced accordingly.
Regarding your questions:
1-It is a well made trailer from a reputable manufacturer so you should have no towing issues.
2-If the trailer is narrower than the car you probably won't notice it. Use common sense with driving it, checking your mirrors when cornering and all should be fine.
3-As it's set up like that by the dealer it should meet Hobie's requirements. A bow support wouldn't be difficult to add if you are worried. I have added a bow and stern support on my TI trailer.
4- I find it easier to park the trailer at the boatramp carpark and use the cart to launch the TI. That way I can set everything up before hitting the water. Others launch from the trailer but then you need somewhere to beach the TI while you park.
5- I am using an 880GA boat trailer from Carlex Easytrailers. It is Chinese made and delivered in a couple of boxes. You assemble it in a few hours. I paid about $700 for it and had quotes from local manufacturers at around $1500 for exactly the same specced trailer. You still need to add frames for the cradles so unless you like modding things the Boeing is a safe option. Looking at the photo gallery on Carlex's site will give you some other trailer ideas. Pics 187, 207 and 208 are earlier versions of my trailer. I now carry just an AI and TI and have changed it again. Also check out how others transport their TI's in earlier posts. Lots of good ideas here! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for your feedback stringy.

When you say the cart, are you referring to the hobie beach wheels, or
something more substantial ?

is it easy to remove the beach wheels / cart once the TI is in the water ?

is it a one man job to pull the complete set up to the water with the cart,
or do you need two people ?

( I'm not particularly well built, and neither is my wife .... :lol: :oops: )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome oceanmoves. I'm just a few hours up the coast so hope to catch up one day soon.

While you're there Stringy and we are on the subject of Hobies on trailers, do you know what an acceptable rear overhang is from the rear hull support to the tip of the stern ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oceanmoves wrote:
When you say the cart, are you referring to the hobie beach wheels, or
something more substantial ?

is it easy to remove the beach wheels / cart once the TI is in the water ?

is it a one man job to pull the complete set up to the water with the cart,
or do you need two people ?

I mainly use the Trax2 cart which I have modified to cope better with the TI.
Hobie are supposed to be close to releasing a more suitable TI cart. Some have reported scupper tube problems with the TI but I had no issues using tennisballs as suspension. If you search for Trax and tennis balls you will get lots of useful info.
Removing the cart is easy- just pick up the stern and let the cart drop out. Getting them back in is a bit harder. If I don't want to get wet I use a combination of scupper cart in rear scuppers and underhull cart forward to take weight off the bowhandle. I usually wheel the TI unassisted unless the boat ramp is steep and then a bit of help can be useful.

Slaughter wrote:
While you're there Stringy and we are on the subject of Hobies on trailers, do you know what an acceptable rear overhang is from the rear hull support to the tip of the stern ?

Slaughter,
Hobie recommend a spacing of 67" between cradles and to locate a cradle under the drivewell. If you do this you will have about 1.1m of stern unsupported on the AI which must be OK by Hobie. I have added a bow support on both AI and TI and a stern support on the TI. The spacing for my cradles is closer together due to the rack I am using.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks mate. I may have to have a rethink. I have 1.3m which is close but I may be able to easily add a rear support to bring it back in under the 1.1m and put my mind at rest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:

If I don't want to get wet I use a combination of scupper cart in rear scuppers and underhull cart forward to take weight off the bowhandle. I usually wheel the TI unassisted unless the boat ramp is steep and then a bit of help can be useful.

Presumably you can use two Trax2 carts - one at each end - to make it easier
to take to the ramp. Do you have to take the carts out *as* you launch ?
Are they prone to fall out and drift away otherwise ?! How do you normally handle that ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm pretty sure Stringy does that oceanmoves. I only have the AI so can't really comment on the logistics of cart and TI.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oceanmoves,
The trax cart is a scupper only cart so you can only fit it in the scuppers which are located in the rear footwell (best balanced position) or rear deck (easiest to insert but not balanced). In Winter to avoid getting wet we use the Trax2 in the rear scupper and an underhull cart forward to take weight off the bow handle. The Trax 2 fits upside down in the rear well when underway but the underhull cart I leave in the car (unless I am using the C-Tug cart which dismantles easily for in hull storage). The big balloon cart in this pic is from Anaconda and it dismantles as well but those big wheels take up a lot of room so it usually stays in the car. :)
When launching I just pick the stern of the TI up and the cart just falls out and floats. Haven't lost one yet! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks.

can you launch off a concrete boat ramp with two carts in scruppers,
as per your set up ?
if so, at what point do you take the carts out of the scuppers ??

Sorry to go on about it - but the videos on the Hobie site just show people
launching off a beach, and I can't find anyone doing it on you tube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the Corolla would be enough for your towing requirements! You only need some minor adjustment at the back of your car since you'll be hauling a trailer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oceanmoves,
Here is my take on things based on my first 6 weeks of TI ownership.

I bought a trailer locally from Impact Trailers here in Forster, which started out as one designed for 12 foot tinnies. The dealer modified it by extending the draw bar, adding a winch and jockey wheel, plus, importantly, a roller about a metre back from the bow, AND an extension out thee back with a roller within a metre of the stern, as per the photo. Once I got delivery of the TI, I took it back to the trailer dealer who juggled the cradles etc to ensure a perfect fit. My TI is supported 1/3 and 2/3rd along its length by the cradles, plus a roller toward both the front and rear. I was impressed with the price of only $1000 too. You won't need any additional cradles...

I too was concerned about the extreme length of the trailer in traffic, so I added a rudder cover made from a hi-vis vest, plus reflective squares all along the rear. If someone runs into it, they deserve to go ti jail for stupidity :mrgreen:

Launching with trailer is a doddle, and I don't even own a cart given all the scupper damage stories, now backed up by Hobie themselves stating that TIs are not suitable for scupper carts.
I assemble my TI fully before launching, setting up the mast, furling line, mainsheet, amas and spray skirts. Backing the trailer into the water and floating the TI off (and the reverse procedure when returning after the voyage) is painless. I always launch where there is a small piece of sand next to the ramp to leave it while I park the car. I then step on board , hide the keys in a dry box, and go.

You won't have any trouble on bends with your trailer behind the Corolla, as the trailer is narrow enough that it won't really cut corners very much. Just don't make ridiculously tight turns....

You will have a ball with a TI. I am out in mine 2-3 times every week, even though its winter. What a rush!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I float my TI off the trailer from sand beaches in Auckland where there are partial boat ramps which are only suitable for small boats and hence free parking due to reduced services and maintenance for the ramp (normally a slab on concrete halfway down to low tide mark). Note, I also have the light weight Tailex Aluminium Trailer.

I also bought a trailer dolly (see link below) and unhitch the trailer from the car and wheel the TI down onto the beach by hand and leave the trailer on the beach next to the access point while out sailing for the day (leave a wheel clamp on the trailer just in case). I can normally pull the TI back up the sand by myself, but there is normally always someone willing to lend a hand due to the TI being so uncommon in NZ and people stop just to have a chat, see how the fishing went.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trailer-Dolly-272kg-Capacity-/170876165564?pt=AU_Trailers&hash=item27c9035dbc

If you are not used to backing a trailer, then a Trailer Dolly might save allot of grief until you get used to doing so.