Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 3.5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I found a Hobie that has been sitting back in a wooded area and Inquired about if it would be fo sale. It is a Hobie 3.5 which I have never heard of. Does any body know if this would be a good cat to learn on. I wiegh about 170 lbs. and have been sailing mono hauls for 35 years and would like to try a cat on the cheap.

Post subject: Re: Hobie 3.5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 3.5 was produced for a very short time in the mid/late '70s. It shared many parts with the Hobie 12 Mono-Cat, nevertheless, key parts - like rudders and aluminum castings - are hard to find.

Is this the boat? http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2497954317.html
If so, then the rudders that are shown don't belong to it. The 3.5 had wooden rudders.

At 170 lbs, you would be far too heavy for it. It was really made for kids. Here's a link to a page with more info: http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=61801

You're better off finding a Hobie 14 or Hobie 16. Both can be found inexpensively and parts are plentiful.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
MBounds wrote:
Is this the boat? http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/2497954317.html
If so, then the rudders that are shown don't belong to it. The 3.5 had wooden rudders.
At 170 lbs, you would be far too heavy for it. It was really made for kids. Here's a link to a page with more info: http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=61801
You're better off finding a Hobie 14 or Hobie 16. Both can be found inexpensively and parts are plentiful.

Still looks like a neat little boat. I really like the 'double stack' with an H14 underneath... or just throw it on the roof rack!
The sail has 5 battens like an H14- I wonder how much it would take to modify an H14 sail to fit? Maybe someone already added H14 rudders- or else it could be easily done... But then there is the dreaded 'hull rot' situation :shock:
If I lived closer I'd pick it up for the grandkids- and as a 'Hobie Heirloom'. Wonder what shipping from FL would cost? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 3.5 that I am looking at is in central OH and been nicely cover and in very good condition. It actually caught my eye last fall when all of the leaves were off of the trees. The sail has been stored inside and by the condition it is in would lead me to believe that this 3.5 has not seen much action. It is on a trailer and for $200.00 does anybody think I could go wrong. If I am too heavy for it after trying to sail it I will probably donate it to our local youth sailing org.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
trawler85 wrote:
The 3.5 that I am looking at is in central OH and been nicely cover and in very good condition. It actually caught my eye last fall when all of the leaves were off of the trees. The sail has been stored inside and by the condition it is in would lead me to believe that this 3.5 has not seen much action. It is on a trailer and for $200.00 does anybody think I could go wrong. If I am too heavy for it after trying to sail it I will probably donate it to our local youth sailing org.

Yeah, you will be wasting your money... Send me the link. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a complete 3.5 in great condition in northern California if anyone is interested . I love the thing . Got it when I was a kid and had so much fun on it . Sentimentally I hate to get rid of it but it's not like I cn use it as an adult and I would probably let it go if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a link to some information.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=7860

I've sailed the monocat and the Bravo, and had a Hobie Hawk (9'). They are too little. I'm not happy with 14s either. I've had a couple of 17s, and now have a Getaway, and have sailed 16s. The little boats are just not much fun when they are overloaded. The 6' beam of the 3.5 is pretty narrow. But hey, for that money, get it, play with it, and then get a 17!

Too many canoes and kayaks