Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Advice
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm planning a couple of trips that I will need to anchor, for two trips a year I'd rather not install a trolley system. What I would like to do set up a half moon brace at the stern to keep the anchor line centered at the bottom. The line then would come to the seat area and be fastened at the bitter end would be a clorox bottle.

The plan is in an emergency disconnect of cut the line or when done fishing toss the bottle, and peddle back to it and retrieve the line and anchor. This would be taking place at the last two hours of the flood into the first two hours of the ebb.

Anybody see and major flaws with the idea? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Seeking Advice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was going to try a similar method myself last year, but was advised against it. I was advised that attaching an anchor line to the stern of the PA would cause the PA to tend to submarine. When you think about it, it makes sense because the stern of the PA sits lower in the water, and having an anchor line pulling down on the stern would intensify the "submarine" effect. Also the water's current would be pushing against the stern adding to the effect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply Yakfish, a valid point. I would think the rudder would also collect seaweed and such. Now you have me thinking of putting the seat on a swival so it could spun around and I could fish the stern. Think I'll also check Youtube for video of anchor PA's. This year will be for trolling stripers and I'll rent a skiff for the bait deal. Thank You Again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried the seat swivel also...I did this when I added a seat slide. I found that without modifying the seat framework...As you swivel the seat, you also angle downward because the seat framework has a factory angle. That makes it dangerous if you were trying to turn the seat. The PA would lean down to the side as you turned and might roll over or throw you out. OH...And if you have the steering handle attached to your seat, that would be another variable to consider because you would be limited in your turning radius...Good idea though...

If you do find a way to install a seat swivel safely, post it so I can see how you did it...Good luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like I'll have to do some stability test, when researching prior to purchase, one of the people selling them told he stepped onto the PA from the dock without issue. He was a big guy and I believe he was being honest, I have yet to stand in mine, as I had no reason to do so. You saved me some trouble by researching this already, thank you. I'll keep you advised if I make any progress.