Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoist launching
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I may need to use a hoist to get my Tiger in the water. Has anyone had any luck doing this? If so can you send me a diagram on how to hook up the sling.

Thanks - Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There’s an I-20 that launches their boat with a hoist at Mission Bay Yacht Club. Every one else launches from the beach, but they seem quite content launching with the hoist and claim it's very simple. Next time I see them I’ll ask how it’s done and send you the info… -Dennis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roy:

Why the heck would you be hoist launching when we have so many nice places to launch in Long Beach? I would only hoist lacking any other options. Such as King Harbor or Coronado Yacht Clubs.

But if you have to sling lauch you take a three point sling. Two equal sides to the ends of the front crossbar. The third attaches to your Mainsheet which is attached to the boat and center travelled. The mast is up already and you have to make sure that the mast does not touch the hoist. Slowly raise the hoist with all the lines attached until the boat starts to lift off the trailer. If the back does not come up first tighten the main sheet until the back is higher so the mast will stay clear.

This part is not all that bad for getting the boat in the water. The (censored) is raising the sails on an unstable platform when the boat is in the water.

ABYC has a ramp and two hoists. I have yet to use the hoist and I sail out of there all the time.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dan,

BCYC has been trying to get me to join but they only have a hoist, which would be fine for my cal20 but the Tiger is a different story. My dream is to keep the boat at a place where I can keep the mast up since it is also a pain to raise and lower.

I think hoist launching the Tiger is probably the worst option but was hoping someone would come out and say ' its easy, just do this...'

Thanks for the replys! Hope to be out theer sailing soon!

Roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You didn't hear this from me.....

If you insist on doing this you need two lengths rope approx equal with a loop in one end and a large stop on the other.

When you get to the hoist.

1. remove Centre boards
2. thread the strops up through the centre cases (so stops end up against the hull bottom)
3. bring the two loops together and hook them onto the hoist.
4. Close eyes
5. Hoist.

if you find the boat doesn't ballance or tends to tip fwd or aft you may need to run a third line to stop it tipping. Play with the settup on the hard just lifting the boat 6 inches until you're happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scarecrow:

It would be a great plan if the boat wanted to keep an upright attitude. I put my beach wheels right at the shrouds. That balances the boat. I can put the boat on the bows and it will stay or on the transoms and it will stay. Mast forward or back is the reason. If you put the lines through the daggerboard wells, which are just behind the shrouds, it will have almost neutral balance. If the mast swings in the wind you never know which way it will choose..

I am sticking with the front crossbeam corners and an adjustable one at the middle of the back. If you are patient and have time to figure it out you can use a four point. One at each corner of the trampoline at the crossbar. make sure you color code the lines so you do not get the front on the back and do not let anyone else use them unless it is exactly the same kind of boat.

Roy: You should put your name at ABYC crew board to find a crew position on a Cal 20 for a couple of races. Wednesday night gets lots of boats sailing out of there. It may take a while to get your own spot in the yard but there may be a member interested in partnering up that has a boat in the yard.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to use the hoist to launch my old Hobie 21. If you have ever tried to pull that boat up from a low tide, you will understand why I did this.

The problem with the hoist on most cats is mast rake. The next problem is wind. You will have to lift the boat somewhat bow down but as the boat hits the water, the rig tends to hit the hoist no matter what you try to do, so just keep this in mind, the problem is worst at low tide.

Wind can also be a real problem as the hulls, trampoline, and rig can capsize your boat while in the air. I have seen it happen twice and it is really scary. The second time the boat was blowing around so much it hit the "safety" and the hoist stopped working with the boat swinging bow down. Fortunately the three point sling was very secure and there were no injuries or damage.

This is one of those situations where I would try it out before you assume it will work well with the Tiger.