Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steel gray deck and black hulls,now that sound sweet :D ...what colors are your sails going to be?
Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gray pentax from whirlwind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kenny,
You will have a lot of fun with your new toy.Let's rendezvous next summer at the Gulf of Mexico and do some coastal cruising. :) Perhaps an invite to all of what is left of the fleet of 21SE for a fun regatta or meet up at a regatta.Mississippi would be a good "halfway" point for us.Sometime to think about...
I have already be invited to spend a week sailing at Cape San Blas,FL. in August :D
Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

brokenrinker wrote:
I noticed on one of the first pictures of the sails it looked like that main had reef points in it. Does anybody reef their main? How does that work out? I singlehand a lot so reducing sail area sounds appealling.

Very observant. They do look like Reefing points. With the Aussie style connection, I have only seen discussion on using a pigtail at the headof the sail to be able to reef. Have also been told that the reefed head should be below the Comptip to make sure it does not pull the head out of the composite comptip. This set-up would also require the complete lowering of the sail for this type of reefing, but this has to be much more comfortable than trying to depower a sail that feels way oversized.

Reefing is the ability to lessen the size of your main for higher winds. You essentially use the higher grommets that are above the foot of the sail to be the new foot. There are 2 places that the main looks to be able to reef (single and double reef). There are also grommets at for the new out haul point. The pigtail lines thru the sail in line with the grommets would be used to tie the excess foot sail material in a roll.

When the winds get above 15mph, the sail on the 21SE definitely feels big. Please read the post on how to depower the main for the higher winds. The 18 is a similar setup, so read the 18 forum as well for depowering tips. Mostly, I depower with the downhaul (cunningham).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

got the graphics completed and should be shipping today. If you ever need graphics, tx numbers or anything else, Dennis is one of the best guys I have ever delt with. Gray goose logo is 13"x88", hobie logo is 6" x 27" and the 56 is 8"x20"
Dennis and Debby Kirby
903 Settlemire Road, Lebanon, Ohio, 45036

Hours: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday thru Friday EST
Feel Free to Call or E-Mail us at:

Phone: 513-932-2422
[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

black hulls done

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WOW, good job Kenny!
Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Bill. Looks great from 10 ft away :). Now just the wait for the paint to fully dry 7-10 days and then the deck gets painted in steel gray. Got the graphics in today and Dennis did a bang up job as usual. Trailer has been completed to a single axle as you suggested but ended up using pontoon boat trailer tires to get a wider footprint in the sand. All I need now is a new trap set as my local hobie dealer could not get them. Any ideas on that ?
Thanks
Kenny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kenny,
Try pricing your new tramps at both Tampa Catamarans(talk to Rose) or SloSail and Canvas as they do good work too.Tampa Catamarans would probably be less expensive but SloSail has a deep selection of colors.I like SolSail's heavy duty white mess(not the cheese grader mess others use) as it better matches the original look on my Stars and Stripes 21SE white tramp.They told me that their standard duty white vinyl does not hold up as well as their other colors.They also have an extreme duty white mess too.Tampa only does black mess but very reasonable.
Good Luck,Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I should have spelled it out, my bad. I meant to say trapeze cables. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kenny,
Get yourself a double trapeze setup along with a single one trapeze too and you can have triple traps :D Add another grommet forward of the original trampoline trapeze grommets and let that one be for the kids.Space it similarly but more forward.I like my kids more in front of the shrouds for balance and leaves the back pair with plenty of room to roam for the big boys.
If you had 1 1/2" wide webbing sewn along the outside wing rail (sewn right on the wing trampoline),they could service as foot straps like the webbing down a 16 tramp only these web pockets fit your feet.This would last longer then padded foot straps and require no fasteners in the wing tubing.Less holes :lol:Also more comfortable to sit on too.I have not done this but that's what I will upgrade to when I replace my current wing trampoline.Wing tramps with sewn on foot straps.
Order the "back pair" with the adjustable rigging (for the big boys). :) Let the single forward trapeze just be a "non adjustable" standard style and kid friendly too.
Good luck,Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Murray's Marine can make good cables if your dealer can't get them.

http://www.murrays.com/catamaran/catamaran.html

They can make anything you want if the stock ones don't suit you.

http://www.murrays.com/archive/52.pdf

Easy to deal with on the phone too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another source for hard to find items or out of production items is Salty Dog Marine.Don has helped me over the years keeping my rigging up to date.He will make anything you need.He offers standard and heavy duty rigging too.Check him out. :D
Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was just looking at my rudders and one of them looks like it is questionable. I also noticed that one is 2 inches longer than the other. one is 36 long and the other is 38" long. the longer looks like it has gone through a battle for sure. I dont see any rudders for the 21 se available, so what fits this thing? I see evo has a set for the H 20 that looks pretty close. any ideas on this?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post subject: Re: tiger rudders on a 21?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:01 am
Site Rank - Admiral

Look up Catamaran Sailor.com online store and they advertise a Hobie 21SE rudder for $315 each(white).That seems like a good deal to me as my original rudders lasted 16 years before I blew one out. :o
I consider myself somewhat creative and made my own rudders that work great.Fabricating them was a fun winter project.In six years,I have touched up the white paint only once.Go to the Beach Cats.com and look up fabricating/homemade rudders to view my photos,posted March 12,2011.
Good Day,Bill 404 21SE :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next