Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, For a long time I've thought about organising a bunch of hobies to sail through the Bahama islands, camping on the beaches, you know sort of like an expedition. So I've been working on this for a while now and as things now stand I have a 31 foot polynesian cat (a pahi 31, looks like a big hobie) which I can use as our support boat. The pahi can carry a whole load of stuff, enough for say 6 to 10 people for a couple of weeks, and we ve also got a 16 foot Boston Whaler as a run about. So guys, whos up for it? and how do we do it? I have various options that I could do
1) we could sail out of the Miami area 50 miles across to Bimini with your own boats. We d need to wait for a weather window and the pahi fully loaded is gonna struggle to keep up but could follow behind as safety cover.
2) We could get a container and fill it with (your) boats and ship it out to Nassau or Georgetown.
3) I can buy a bunch of hobies (Which model?) and permanently base em out in the Exumas and people can just fly out and join an expedition.

So what do you think? With enough interest it'd be worth me getting some boats out in the Exumas but otherwise I could bring my pahi back from the islands for a one off trip with hobies. The Exumas are the perfect place to do an expedition (check em out on google maps!)
Anyway....Guys this winter!! It could be a really cool thing to do.
Discuss :D
(I'm going to post this on each cat forum I hope thats OK with the forum moderator so we can get all you cat sailors talking)
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK Getaway sailors (not the same as getaway drivers! :lol: )
I was going to post this on each individual boat forum but noticed theres actually an open sailing forum so if you have any interest check it out here
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38874
that should make it easier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did this ever happen?