Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rudder repair
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know you can repair the epo rudders (those are the ones with the foam in them and are usually black) because their exterior is fiberglass, and new glass will bond. What about the white plastic heavy rudders? There are only these 2 types right? I ripped off the forward corner that pivots on the rudder casting that attaches to the transom. I'm sailing a hobie 18 with the old style rudder system if that matters. If there is a way to fix these plastic rudders I'd really appreciate some tips. If it can't be repaired I'm thinking about shortening the rudder by shaving the broken top off and lowering the bolt pivot holes. I somewhat understand the physics behind how a foil works and realize that it will change the hydrodynamic center of effort and that the boat may not sail as well as with a proper rudder. I figure any sailing is better than no sailing. I'm not trying to race just want to sail.

Are the epo rudders as durable as the heavy plastic ones? I know there performance aspect and less weight is really important, but I cant justify the cost when I'm not racing and have a high likely hood of breaking them as I go through the surf a lot thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: rudder repair
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The real advantage of the EPO blades is their stiffness, not their weight. As far as repairing your nylon rudders, I would guess that polyester resin will not stick to nylon, but epoxy should. I would check with the epoxy manufacturer to confirm this guess.

Post subject: Re: rudder repair
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:21 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are a lot of benefits to EPO rudders - lighter weight, stiffness, strength, better foil shape, and of course, the bling factor.

Nothing sticks to nylon rudders. The only way I've seen a broken corner fixed is to reattach the piece with two large screws. Even that didn't work so well - it's weaker than the original, so you have to be careful when steering with the rudder partially up (that's how they break in the first place).