Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 14 new mast
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a few boats 2 hobie 16s and a 14. I have a spare H16 mast and shrouds and no mast for my 14. I intend to use the H16 mast on the H14. I can see two options to make the mast work. One would be to cut the existing mast and shrouds down to the same length as the 14. Two would be to move the mast tang upwards. To me option two seems the easiest. Does anybody have experience doing something similar? If I were to cut the mast/ shrouds down what are the lengths for the 14? I am not sure of the years of any boat, all i know is they are old. Blue hulls on the 16s and yellow for the 14 if that says anything.
Mahalo for any help

Post subject: Re: Hobie 14 new mast
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Think you could rig a 16 mast and sails on a 14, make a 14 super turbo? You would probably have to move the mounts for the blocks on the boom, and obviously make new stays, but it would make for a great low wind boat to single hand.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

speed633 wrote:
Think you could rig a 16 mast and sails on a 14, make a 14 super turbo? You would probably have to move the mounts for the blocks on the boom, and obviously make new stays, but it would make for a great low wind boat to single hand.

Bad idea since the 14's shrouds attach to the sidebar, not the hull. You'll snap the sidebars in a heartbeat.

You can cut down a 16's mast to work on a 14. The mast base will work in the step. To get the geometry right, you're going to need to move two of either the tang, the head or the base - meaning you can leave one in place and move the other two.

The only significant problem I see is the added weight where you really don't want it - up high. It'll make a pitchpole-prone boat even more twitchy and harder to right when you flip it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks MBounds
How do you mean extra weight up high? If the mast is cut down wouldn't it alleviate that issue? I will move the tang as I want to try and keep the existing shrouds since i am broke. Probably move the head as I dont feel like moving the cleats at the base of the mast.
Mahalo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The 16's mast has a bigger section than the 14's - it's heavier for a given length. That extra weight will make it harder to right the boat. The boat's center of gravity will be higher, making it more prone to pitchpoling.

I'm not sure I'd want to sail it in the ocean.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was unaware that it had a larger cross section on the mast. I will probably be cutting it shorter than standard anyways as I am not using a Hobie main. I picked up some random sail that I havn't a clue what it goes to. Not sail it in the Ocean? Wheres the fun in that? plus I have no choice being in Hawaii.
thanks a lot for the help