Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bravo Boom
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out for my first sail with the new boom last weekend. It performed nicely. I really like the way that it raises as the sail is furled to keep the deck area clear. I've only noticed a few small issues thus far:
(1) The boom was protected in plastic but was scratched in quite a few places. I expect that this happened at the manufacturing facility. It will probably get a little scratched with use but I was surprised to see this out of the box, right from the dealer.
(2) I am going to revisit the boom vang attachment. The single line from the boom to the cam cleat was just a little too long and the cam cleat actually hits the mast support when the boom was let out. I reduced the length of this line "on the fly" and now the other line (from the deck to the cam cleat) is just a little too short when the boom is fully raised. I expect that I will be buying some new 1/4" line to replace both of these sections.
(3) I did purchase a new mainsheet as the original was just barely long enough, especially noticed when furled. I had no spare line from the block in this case - too short for me and now the coupling to the sail is on the fully raised boom....
(4) The boom is a little low and you have to make sure to really duck under it during a tack - the sail without the boom is much more forgiving!

There were also lots of advantages, which are noteworthy:
(1) While on a run, the sail was full and I was sailing well. For "fun", I uncleated the outhaul and the sail immediately lost it's shape and the boat slowed down considerably.
(2) The boom only seemed to add 1 minute or so to the launch time and nothing significant to the dismantling time. I forgot to uncleat the outhaul when trying to furl the sail - something else to remember.

All in all, based upon the single sail, it was a nice addition to the boat. The $500 (Canadian) price tag seems a little steep for the investment, but the overall advantages to the sailing experience are measurable.

Similar to another post, I would fully expect that the boom would also help in light winds - any extra means to control sail shape are great!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bdg - great to hear the boom is working out for you. When replacing the vang line you might want to consider 3/16" line instead of 1/4". We tried 1/4" line on our vang and my wife had difficulty uncleating from the jam cleat. The 3/16" worked much better. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was looking at a variety Harkin micro blocks today and saw one with a swivel with a removable pin.
I think I am going to attach the micro block to the fairlead this way instead of removing the fairlead rivet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've never really felt that there was a need for a new block, given the relatively simple vang configuration. A single line runs from the boom to the camcleat - no need for a block there as the line does not move. The "S" hook provides a nice means of allowing the line to run through it as the camcleat is adjusted..... I have the S-hook at the boat side (do you?)

My one observed shortcoming with the boom is the fact that the boom is not always mounted right at the back of the mast - pointing towards the stern. My boom tends to be on the side of the mast at times. Maybe I have the outhaul too tight? In addition, the two small rivets near the "gooseneck" seem lacking - almost that there should be a few more to help secure the plastic fitting to the Aluminum boom. I am attaching a picture to demonstrate my point:

You might also notice that there is some missing paint close to the rivets - this was right from the factory. I am not sure why these spots were not painted but it appears that a black marker was used to cover it over. A little surprising!

Has anyone else experienced these issues? How have they been resolved?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Admin

bdg wrote:
You might also notice that there is some missing paint close to the rivets - this was right from the factory. I am not sure why these spots were not painted but it appears that a black marker was used to cover it over. A little surprising!

The spot is from where the part rests on a rack at some point during the anodize process. It is anodized, but the black dye is diminished in these areas. Very typical of extrusions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
the two small rivets near the "gooseneck" seem lacking - almost that there should be a few more to help secure the plastic fitting to the Aluminum boom.

There is something unusual going on here. Too much load at an odd angle to cause the rivets to pull and bend the edge of the extrusion. The part should be in compression in normal use. This has been pulled apart and bent upwards. Sail in high winds?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

You are right. In a more detailed review, the weld at the gooseneck is letting go. There are (2) spot welds - one on the top and one on the bottom.... none at the sides and this is where the metal is twisting inwards.

No, I have not been out with the boom in high winds but have been playing a lot with the outhaul - perhaps I pulled this, coupled with some wind (never white caps), caused the excessive force on the sideways direction and caused it to continue? The boom was new this season and has only been used between 5 and 6 times.

I am attaching a few pictures to better explain my predicament.

I am trying to get a cost for a replacement metal piece through my distributor. Hopefully, this one will be welded all around!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

The bent stainless gooseneck is pretty tough and had to have a dramatic load to the side to bend... possibly without the yoke rotating on the mast? The yoke should allow full rotation to left and right. Too much vang tension might do that?

There is a ding in the plastic that may show how the end cap became damaged. I suspect it was 180 degrees from the position shown. I could imagine the sail being furled without releasing enough outhaul might lever the boom when it it this stop.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

You may be right - at least once while furling the sail I had forgotten about releasing the outhaul and vang. I didn't think that I'd pulled with too much force, but I am most likely the maker of my own demise. The bolt / top "U" assembly is definitely bent - I've disassembled the boom end and now have this bolt (45mm long) and welded "U" in my hands which screws to the plastic gooseneck. And you are correct - the "U" is very strong and very resistant to bending with "conventional" tools. It will probably require some heat from a machine shop to fix it.... or preferably a new piece from Hobie through my distributor.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
An metal eye strap is installed on the forward edge of the hatch ring... just below and aft of the mast.

Does the metal eye strap use any metal backing plate to help reinforce the screws?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailorsloan,

It sounds like you are referring to the attachment point for the boom vang. This (at least for my Hobie purchase) is simply two stainless steel screws (3/4" if I recall correctly) that screw into the plastic hatch and then through to the deck. The strength of the plastic is quite amazing! There are no backing plates for this attachment point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

can someone post the whole picture of Bravo boom?
i would like to see as much details as possible but in one piece
thank you