Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailed in the Redfish Reach this past weekend (October 1-2) out at the Texas City Dike. Great annual event put on by the TCDYC. Also gave me a chance to try out a couple new mounts. The front mount, a makeshift PVC "spin pole", did not work out well at all - the video was so bouncy I couldn't hardly use it. I thought about using a different setup but I think it might be more trouble than it's worth unless I was going to actually run a spin. The rear mount had some movement but overall worked well. I'll probably try to make some improvements to it before next time.

Thought maybe you guys up north would enjoy seeing us sailing in shorts still.. :wink:
Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuLQKyw1krY&hd=1[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where was the capsize?

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry Jeff, that poor sailing on my part didn't make the cut...but thanks for mentioning it! At least I've got time to practice before next year's race.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great fun.

Just a quick comment ..... 2 things, one..... you are losing a lot of power by not pulling in your main sheet and dropping the boom resulting in you spilling wind. and second ..... you are not using your main traveller. Shown in the one clip you are reaching with the traveller in center position ..... wrong. Do this and you will certainly go faster.

On our side for the next 7 to 8 months it's shorts' weether.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Would love to know more about your video mounts and what camera you use. I especially like the rear view 'cause you can see whats going on better. I might start a thread just about mounts and cameras.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

outoftheoffice wrote:
Sorry Jeff, that poor sailing on my part didn't make the cut...but thanks for mentioning it! At least I've got time to practice before next year's race.

At least you didn't sink.....

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips Richard!

And JSWoerner, I'll try to get a photo of the rear setup but essentially it is an adjustable 5-10 ft PVC pole with an aluminum beam across the hulls for support. I'm planning on making some tweaks, though, before next season. The camera is a Kodak Playsport with an add-on fisheye lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you considered filling pvc pipe with foam. That might raise the stiffness enough to allow the camera to remain more stable.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Didn't think of that but it could be a good option.. Mostly I just think the PVC isn't the best answer (my camera setup is pretty darn heavy), I would need to step it up to a fiberglass or carbon pole and I don't want to invest that much into it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

outoftheoffice wrote:
Didn't think of that but it could be a good option.. Mostly I just think the PVC isn't the best answer (my camera setup is pretty darn heavy), I would need to step it up to a fiberglass or carbon pole and I don't want to invest that much into it

Nice vid, like the music.

A cheap alternative for the PVC may be to use an expandle broom handle. I got one for $20 that is 8ft long and made of coated steel so it's light weight and fairly riged.

Do you have the kodak fisheye that attaches using a magnet? I have the same but Im scared a good splash could knock it into the drink, do you have some sort of lanyard attached to it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Daredevil wrote:
Do you have the kodak fisheye that attaches using a magnet? I have the same but Im scared a good splash could knock it into the drink, do you have some sort of lanyard attached to it?

Yea, I have the magnetic fisheye on there. I actually pryed the magnetic ring off the lens cover and glued that to the camera so I have a stronger magnet-to-magnet seal instead of the standard magnet-to-metal ring. It helps, but I do also have a small zip-tie with a tether on it which I then have attached to the camera. That tether has saved the lens a few times already. Sometime, when I get a chance, I'll post the camera and rigs I use...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Am certainly enjoying the music.

Can you please provide CD details

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad y'all like it! The artist is Gift of Gab, the song is Ride of Your Life, the album is 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up (the whole album is good).