Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rigging failures
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It seems two years is the length of time before all my rigging is failing. Having a 2004 model and sailing almost every weekend and then some is taking it's toll. First was the main halyard rusting apart at the end, and not the bolt, and then a week ago saturday, a side stay broke at the top dropping the mast, and also the rudder pintle brakets pulling out of the transom and when trying to tighten the bolts one broke. Then yesterday the loop holding a bridle broke letting the mast hang. I am wondering if others are having these things happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Two years is kind of a short time, but if you're sailing every weekend in salt water and not rinsing the boat off with fresh water, I can see how things will corrode pretty quick.

I sail predominately in fresh water, but when I do get to salt water, it always blows me away how fast things get crusty (like two days).

Post subject: Rigging Failure
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Please note the parts that have broken have broken and not rotted or corroded off. I feel very strongly now that the stainless issues are the predominate factors as both the stay and front crossbar bridle loop, just broke, and no signs of corrosion to be found.

The transom bolts issue needs discussion, as this is not going to be an easy thing for any of us Getaway owners to deal with. I will put my findings in a new topic as it is extensive.

I like my boat, but think I need one twice as big, as I now think it is only a light weather boat and not able to stand up to vigorous open seas sailing or even areas with heavy power boat wake problems. I am even scared now of taking out in winds over 10 knots, who knows what else is going to just drop off.