Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HI - Maui, Hawaii
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any one know of places to rent a 16 on Maui. Specificly Kihei area, but anywhere on island should be fine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cruise through this discussion for ideas:

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/postlis ... awaiiHobie

Post subject: Hobies on Maui
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maui Ocean Activities is the only location on Maui that rents Hobies! We have two locations on the island; one at The Grand Wailea Resort and the other at Whalers Village in Kaanapali. Come sail our Hobie Waves while taking in the scenery of Maui's beautiful coastline. For more information email [email protected] or call 808-357-8988
Mahalo
Graham Goettsch
GM Maui Ocean Activities

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

West Maui Sailing School is up near Kaanapali beach. Their number is 808-667-5545. They have Getaway's and I believe that they send someone out with you. They also don't have any trap set ups due to insurance issues.

Have fun,

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Dude wrote:
West Maui Sailing School is up near Kaanapali beach. Their number is 808-667-5545. They have Getaway's and I believe that they send someone out with you. They also don't have any trap set ups due to insurance issues.
Chuck Johnson runs West Maui Sailing School. Chuck is an old racer who really knows his stuff. He's got a Getaway and a 16. Both are well maintained. They're located in front of the Castaways restaurant north of Black Rock (Sheraton Hotel) on Airport Beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, Hobie1616, is cat sailing popular on Maui? Where's it done? What are the conditions like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got back from Maui and the only Hobie cat rentals I could find were Ocean Activities at Whalers Village, Kaanapali and The Grand Wailea Hotel. At both sites they only had Hobie Waves (2-3) to rent and they were in pretty bad shape (tons of rudder slop with no cam locks on the rudders (big time weather helm) and on one boat the main sheet cam cleat tension spring was busted so the cam cleat was mostly useless). On the bright side, the sun was out, the wind was good and a whale breached ~ 150 yards on my port quarter. Three hours rental was $135.00. Boy am I glad I own my own boat, too bad it won't fit in a suitcase :wink:

Post subject: Re: HI - Maui, Hawaii
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I just got back from Maui and the only Hobie cat rentals I could find were Ocean Activities at Whalers Village, Kaanapali and The Grand Wailea Hotel Hawaii. At both sites they only had Hobie Waves (2-3) to rent and they were in pretty bad shape (tons of rudder slop with no cam locks on the rudders (big time weather helm) and on one boat the main sheet cam cleat tension spring was busted so the cam cleat was mostly useless).

Well I guess that's better than nothing but I think I will try the suggestion above - West Maui Sailing School - anyone else rented from them?

Last edited by JoeGilmore on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: HI - Maui, Hawaii
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Instead of renting an expensive boat, go to Lahaina Harbor and go on the America ll. It was an America's Cup contender in Australia in 1987. It's been modified a little since then, but it's still Very, Very Fast and a lot less expensive - about $40 for several hours. You'll be out in the tradewinds and might see some whales. Even though it's warm, throw on a long sleeve shirt and a nylon windbreaker, or else you'll get wet and cold. It's quite a ride. The phone number I have from two years ago is: 667-2133.
Good luck and have fun in Maui.
Richard