Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Launching your Hobies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to Launching anything, I dont own one yet but I am getting close in making a decission, i also have no hurry to buy just looking at the getaway, 18, 21 if i can find one..! I am wondering how all of you launch your boats is there a trick or do you just launch where speed boat people go or is there a special spot for sailors or is there a wrong way or what is the edicate of launching your boats without bothering anyone else? I am just thinking all of this stuff, I will be in small lakes and Lake Erie Pa.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can launch these boats just about any place that doesn't have low hanging power lines or tree branches.
Your best bet would be to find a local Hobie Fleet or nearby Hobie dealer and ask them where to launch and also get advice on which boat you should consider buying. There's a big difference between the Getaway, 18, and 21.
If you're in Pa. then your sailing season is coming to a close, so you'll have plenty of time to find a knowledgable person to advise you before next spring and summer.
Sailing these boats are exciting and a lot of fun if you know what you're doing or have knowledgable people close by to help you get started.
Keep it safe and have lots of fun!
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is probably obvious but it's best to launch where the wind is not directly onshore. On small lakes it's probably not a big deal but on Lake Erie you'll have both the wind and the waves pushing you back onto the beach. It's tough to get enough speed to get the daggers and rudders down and working.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok Great Ideas! I just didnt want to look like a Total Newbie ! :) I do learn by watching to, so i do alot of watching others and then maybe go over and talk to them to.. If they are talkable people, me i am open as a convient store! hahah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Youtube has some great vids for learners. Your best bet though is to find your local club and ask if you can sail with someone. Most people don't mind taking crew and there really is no better way to learn something that by doing it (under supervision).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes you are right , but who sails in the FALL? I think i would, if i had some clothes for it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its easiest to launch these boats directly off the beach, so generally speaking, you would not be launching by powerboaters since they require a ramp. Beach launching allows you to rig the boat on solid ground with the boat pointed directly into the wind. You also don't have to deal with crowded boat ramps and docks.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you mentioned the Getaway, the 18 and 21, it sounds like you are open to considering several alternatives. Let me mention another one: the Hobie 16. The 18 and 21 will be a handful for a newbie. In my humble opinion, the H16 is the best all around boat, although some would argue for the 18. I currently have a Hobie 20 and a 14. I've owned 16s and 18s in the past. Guess what I'm buying in a couple weeks: a new Hobie 16. Just saying you ought to consider it. There's many reasons why it's the world's most popular catamaran by a huge margin.

While I'm on the subject, here's MVD's new ride:

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

your picture didnt come up, the link didnt work, well my big thing is i will have at least 3 people all the time with me so it is looking like maybe a HOBIE isnt gonna work for me! I am looking at 21 because of that but they just dont make them anymore, and windrider, and stiletto 23, just need to find a good price on them used..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

soulofasailor wrote:
...well my big thing is i will have at least 3 people all the time with me so it is looking like maybe a HOBIE isnt gonna work for me!...

What about the Getaway?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Three all the time? If you're sure you won't get the itch for racing in the future, then I agree with AugAug, the Getaway would be your pick.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess a getaway with wings would be cool. But i am now looking at a Reynolds 21. Do any oof you know anything about those..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know it's a BIG, HEAVY boat. I realize that everyone has their own preferences, but I'd be shocked if anyone on these boards would prefer that over some type of Hobie. So take what we say with a grain of salt, but also remember that there's a reason so few of those have sold, and so many Hobie's have sold. This board is full of those "reasons" so before you buy the boat, see what people here have to say to make sure you don't buy the wrong boat for you.

I know nothing about the boat other than what I've read online, but I know a LOT about how Hobie stands behind their products. This isn't like the automotive industry where warranty is a nice feature, but not a determining factor. The way Hobie takes care of their customer's is 10 times better then anything I've seen in not only this industry, but many other's too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the info, here is what i am looking at,
http://www.strictlysailing.com/classifieds/10618as.html

that is the boat im thinking of, it can hold 8 people the guy says it keeps up with a stiletto 27, it wieghs only 1000 bls. it is Boomless, i wonder if you can add a boom it has 2 main sils 2 jib self tacker jib, he has it for 5k, without motor!

I just want something that i can maybe use my captains license on to charge for rides maybe! and to bring some people for a ride.. My GOAL is a F24, or F31, but right now i cant afford that! I sailed a Getaway in the ocean at a resort it was very dam NICE fast never sailed a 16 or 18. wish i new someone that had one!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobies are all about BEACH CATAMARANS.
IMHO, Hobie offers the best choices in that classification.
(Plus of course, the great roto-moulded kayaks they make.)

Once you move up to Corsairs, F27's, Edel 26's and others, that's a different class. Isn't it better to compare apples to apples? To carry many passengers, why not look at a Lagoon 440 or a Sunsail 464? Four full bathrooms, BBQ, A/C, etc. Perhaps something to do with price and performance?

Hobie's "party boats" are the Getaway, and if you can find one, a H18 Magnum or SX18. These sail best with two or three, and can do four or five, although performance will suffer. And they're still faster....

We 'smoke' the local F24 Corsair every time we go out on our SX18, but then we don't have to worry about spilling our beverages........