Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there anybody out there like me?
I have been kayak fishing since about 2005. The addiction hit me right away. My first kayak was a Sports Authority Pelican which sucked….I mean sucked horribly. At the advice of some friends from a local seminar I attended, I purchased my first true fishing yak…an OK Prowler 15. I am a big guy, so this boat was just right for me. As I said, the addiction hit me right away. I rigged that baby up with everything that was cutting edge at that time. FF, anchor trolley, customized milk crate, etc. I was going out all the time, sometimes in the middle of the night alone for our famed Striper action. After a near turtle in the dark of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, I told myself I would not venture out alone like that again. Subsequently, I ended up purchasing an OK Drifter, Liquid Logic Manta 14 (Wife’s boat), and now my own love, Wildy Ride 135. I even got a trailer. This yakking stuff can get expensive if you are addicted.
When the Hobie Pro Angler first came out, I thought it looked good. I actually purchased a Hobie Adventure kayak but took it back, after I tried it out. Just didn’t feel too safe for a heavy set dude like myself. When the PA came out, I watched all the available videos on it. I was able to push away my addiction by telling myself, that this boat was way toooo expensive. “No one needs to spend that much on a piece of plastic”. Then it happened. My uncle purchased the boat for himself. I took him out on his maiden voyage; mind you he has never been kayak fishing. I was thinking that when I got a closer look at his boat I was going to have the same feeling I had when I purchased the Hobie Adventure. That did not happen!
Since then, I have seen every YouTube video on the boat. I can tell you every spec of the boat. I am familiar with every rigging website there is and I have seen every photo online of the PA with different systems…..lights, motors, push poling (Thanks YaknTx), cooler standing, shark fishing, net throwing, yak hauling, trailer rigging, boat towing, stability tests….I have seen it all. I HAVE MADE UP MY MIND AND I AM GOING TO GET THIS BOAT!!!!
I am going to do this right and by incurring any debt. I am going to sell two of my boats and pay the rest off with my next tax return. I anticipate getting the new boat around late February Early March. In the meantime, I am fishing vicariously through you all PA owners. I am looking forward to joining your ranks.

John

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I too thought the Pro Angler was way too expensive, but it didn't take long for me to see that it is so worth it! Start saving and sell your favorite kayak cause once you get the Pro Angler, your other kayaks will collect dust and take up valuable storage space!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 9 kayaks now, 3 are Hobies, and the Pro Angler is the best one for lake or large water fishing. It's expensive, but it's a bargain. You'll see what I mean once you have one and try it a few times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know what you mean. I too fell in love with the PA long before I bought one. I was obsessed and read everything I could so that I knew it in and out. Then I started searching.... Craigslist can be your best friend when looking for a PA. I found a brand new one that a guy won on the Red Fish tour and didn't want it because it was too big for the type of fishing he does. I got it for a steal! He just wanted it out of his garage because it took up too much space. He posted it on craigslist and didn't get any bites and I just happen to stumble on it 2 months after he posted it. We talked on the phone and he said it was brand new. I rode down 3 hours to Myrtle Beach to pick it up. When I got there it was still in the plastic and all the accessories were still in the sealed box from Hobie!

So, my best advise is to keep your eye open on craigs or the forums and find a guy who won one in the tournament and see if he is willing to sell it. A lot of those guys are sponsored by other companies and can't fish the PA due to their sponsorship! That is a win win situation!

Good luck and trust me you will love the PA!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys. Live addiction hasn't died down one bit. Redwolf, I have it set on my phone to alert me if a PA is available on craigslist. It is good to know that this crack, I mean, this PA is going to be well worth the $ I will spend. One thing my wife keeps saying is that she knows it will be well worth the $ because I am always out on the water and she can only see me out more because of the comfortability of the boat and the easier time I will have against paddling against wind and current.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the Darkside Young Luke !!!!!!!!!!

Yep ........ too expensive ........ until you look at it closely ....... then it's the best kept secret bargain .........

I have 2 of them !!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a Pro Angler, unfortunately towards the end of the fishing season for me on a kayak here on the Chesapeake Bay. I too lamented the high price but finally succumbed to the attraction of a boat that was easy to fish from and that I could carry without a trailer on my truck. I have spent plenty of time on the water fishing from an Old Town Otter. The stability of the Pro Angler, the speed at which it moves, and the tremendous amount of space are really great. I have added a couple of Scotty rod holders and a Lowrance X-4 Pro fish finder. My only complaint is the weight. It is a beast to turn on its side to insert the wheels. I have yet to lift it onto a rack on the truck so I can take it with me while pulling a travel trailer, that will be a task. Once on the water though it is great.

I wish you much luck when you finally purchase yours. Please do yourself a favor though and try out the other Hobies before putting out your money. You may find that one of the lighter ones fits your needs.

Rockman10
Hobie Pro Anlger 2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Rockman, I tried the Outback and liked it alot. But the PA felt more better, plus the added storage is awesome. Standing feels safer on the PA to m :mrgreen: e. The addiction continues

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes brother I started about the same way.My 1st kayak was a Kingfish and I put everything i could on it.Then I got a 135 that my wife uses now.Then a redfish,and a Diablo.Ive seen a PA at a local tournament and liked it but could not see myself spending that much for a kayak,I too watched all the Youtube vids.Then I had a chance to buy one at a good deal and now I LOVE IT and wish I would have got one yrs ago,I have a very $$$$ Bay boat and would rather fish from my PA any day.

2012 Pro-Angler
2011 Pro-Angler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rockman10 ........ don't put the PA up yet ........ bet fishing is about here ........ go to Snaggedline.com ....... it's for Md Kayak Fishing mainly the bay ...... about 400 of us and a large number of Hobies and growing ........ come fish with us

sorry for the hikack ....... just like fishin with other Hobies ..... especially PA's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Memory Maker wrote:
Hey Rockman10 ........ don't put the PA up yet ........ bet fishing is about here ........ go to Snaggedline.com ....... it's for Md Kayak Fishing mainly the bay ...... about 400 of us and a large number of Hobies and growing ........ come fish with us

sorry for the hikack ....... just like fishin with other Hobies ..... especially PA's

Way to rub it in!!!! :D

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Redgrappler ......... spend the money NOW ....... the economy needs you !!!!!!!!!

........ besides ..... there are great deals out there now ........ clearance on 2011 stock and used ones fully equipped and under warranty ........ beat the price increases and spend the money ....... NOW!!!!!

Remember ......... best CBBT fishing is now till 48 degree water temps ........ there's a 50 lb Kipto Cow pineing for ya ...... Go fer it ...... Git er done :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: