Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I love it when a good plan comes together, Thursday the wind was blowing 20-25 mph out of the North, but I figured it would lay by Friday. Got to Rollover Pass(on the North Texas Gulf Coast)about 11 am this Friday and found the water absolutely beautiful:

I unloaded the yak and took my time loading all my gear on board. How can one get in a hurry when the conditions are this grand!

I launched in less than 1' waves.

I paddled/motored out to 10 ft and anchored up. Put two lines out and sat awaiting a bite. Sat for 40 minutes without a bite so I move to 12 ft and put two lines out and by that time my fishing partner DunkEm paddles up. He asks how its going and I tell him "slow, slow, slow"! I barely get the words out of my mouth and my reel starts a slow, slow clicking. I take up the slack and "FISH ON"!

I love getting that first fish and defeating a skunk!

DunkEm goes about 150 yds farther out and anchors up and we both just sit for a while. Then he hollars, "FISH ON"! He lands his first bull red for the day........................I didn't get a pic because he is too far away.

Soon I had another run and hookup. The bite was the strangest and weakest bite I have ever witnessed from Bull Reds. They would take the bait and the reel would just barely turn as they move off for a foot or so then they would stop and just sit there holding the bait. I must have lost 6 fish, just by pulling the bait out of their mouths...............and when I did that they wouldn't come back and pick it up.

Here is number 2:

I just barely had him hooked:

The weather was absolutely beautiful..............the wind never got over 5 mph and most times was 2-3 mph.

Here is number 3:

Number 4 looked to be gut hooked but when I tried to lift him into the yak, he came undone.

Here is number 5:

He had the hook way down his throat.

But my trusty 15 inch locking pliers gets the hook out!

DunkEm moves in closer and catches another bull red.

There was this humongous slick that drifted to where I was.

Once it drifted to me, the fishing was over. It seemed to be dead water. I sat for another hour with no action and decided to hit the beach. Got to the beach by 4:15 and was head home before 5 pm.

It was one of the best weather days of the year, but the fishing wasn't outstanding..................... but it was OK!!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

great post and pictures! thanks for sharing! what do you do with the bull Reds? are they good eating?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

atavuss wrote:
great post and pictures! thanks for sharing! what do you do with the bull Reds? are they good eating?

All the fish I catch are CPR........catch, photo and release.

Red fish are excellent to eat, but the legal slot in Texas is 20-28 inches. You do have an over slot tag on your fishing license(these tags are generally used on fish that swallow the hook to the point that they can't recover the catch).

Bull Reds the size we catch offshore are very tough to dress and often times have worms in them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great pictures. Looked like a fun trip.

http://www.mariner-sails.com
http://www.TFOrods.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mythman thanks for sharing your adventure I really enjoyed it...how does your PA do in the ocean? Does it have to be pretty calm to really enjoy yourself? I havent been out in the ocean yet as I live in AZ but was invited to fish Dana Point, CA to fish for tuna and black bass! In the lakes when its windy it is a pain and at times dangerous. Is it any different on the ocean or the same? Thanks, g man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello mythman.

Great post and pictures!

Thanks for sharing!

A hug.