Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shrink wrap?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings, all. Getting ready to store my TI for the winter. I keep it on a boat lift, and was originally planning to carry it from the beach to our covered patio for the winter, but DH is objecting to this, claiming he is not a pack mule! :lol: I haven't invested in the new wheels, because I only need them twice each year for this purpose. What do you think about shrink wrapping it on the lift? Will it withstand the heat gun? (I know, the cost of shrink-wrap over three years will more than pay for the wheels, but that's where we are for this season, at least).

Post subject: Re: Shrink wrap?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just suggest to DH that there's this muscular young handyman called Eduardo in the neighbourhood who'll move the TI for a few bucks. That should do the trick (it's worked a few times for my wife).
Anyway, how is shrinkwrap going to help? The main thing you need to protect it from is sunlight. Why not just throw a tarp over it if DH is totally devoid of masculine pride?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HA! Good one, Chrisj. Good thought about the tarp. I just thought it would be too difficult to secure the tarp since I can't walk around it. But you're right. I'm just being lazy. A little more ingenuity and I'm sure I could find a way to run a few bungies or lines around it. Shrink wrap was DH's solution. Exerting check writing ability as machismo? Huh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Creekdweller wrote:
Exerting check writing ability as machismo? Huh.

No, I was suggesting that his male vanity would be so challenged, that he would move the sucker himself :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Creekdweller,

I'll be dealing with packing it up for winter for the first time in a couple of days too. I think I saw a post from Mat somewhere that said to store it up side down to get the benefit of the stiffer upper rails so the boat hull doesn't deform. I think I'm going to hang it up side down from the ceiling in a garage on three straps three inches wide.

I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is with cold temperatures but didn't want to take any chances. Maybe others that have been through it a couple of times can comment. Rich