Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why is there a slot in the forward cross bar? I am talking about the slot that runs the length of the bar from port to starboard on the top. Is this for the Sport 17's jib cleats to be mounted to? I am wondering because for my purposes I was thinking of using this channel to mount a few things to the bar. Have been thinking of a place to mount a gps, compass, and SPOT tracker. Imagining some sort of vertical bar with a place to mount to. Possibly even some sort of weather protection. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The slot doesn't serve any purpose. The front crossbar is made from the same extrusion as the rear crossbar, so when Hobie moved to the integrated main traveler track on the rear crossbar, the track also ended up on the front crossbar. There would be no problem using the track to mount hardware.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't know that. Do about what year that started. Mine is an 86 and it is not like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I looked today and I will have to check again but as far as I could see the traveler is not in a groove like on the forward crossbar. However it is possible that my boat is not entirely as delivered stock. It looks like the traveler is riveted to the surface of the rear cross bar on my boat. I have the boat apart and indoors so I took a look inside the cross bars. However a flashlight would have been better than what light I had.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quarath wrote:
I didn't know that. Do about what year that started. Mine is an 86 and it is not like that.
Not until the mid-2000's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What year did 17 production stop? Given the graphics on the side of mine I would guess it is a late 80s-early90s boat. I will check the date today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The last batch of 17s was made in 2004 / 2005. Some of those boats were not sold by the factory until 2007 (and ended up with 2007 hull numbers).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I just went and checked and the aft cross bar on my boat does not have the slot, the traveler is riveted to the bar and looking at from an end I can see there is not slot. But the front has a slot. One hull appears to have 88 as the last 2 numbers of the hull ID and the other has 89.
As to my original question I am assuming it would be best not to drill into the bars for mounting things if at all avoidable yes? No?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The slot on the front cross bar serves a great purpose for those who own a Sport and run a jib.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=61752&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

vtwave wrote:
So I just went and checked and the aft cross bar on my boat does not have the slot, the traveler is riveted to the bar and looking at from an end I can see there is not slot. But the front has a slot. One hull appears to have 88 as the last 2 numbers of the hull ID and the other has 89.
As to my original question I am assuming it would be best not to drill into the bars for mounting things if at all avoidable yes? No?
You almost certainly have a replacement front cross beam that's much newer than the rest of the boat.

In general, holes are bad on the crossbeams, but mounting a couple of pieces of hardware on them with screws / rivets is not going to significantly weaken it. Stay away from the highly loaded areas (next to the hull, around the mast) and you should be OK.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't drill any holes to mount hardware. Use the rectangle nuts designed to go into the integrated tracks to lock components onto the track. As an added bonus you can reposition items as desired. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yeah I really don't want to if avoidable. My only concern with mounting to the track is getting a slide that fits better than what I have. Might order slides from APS and see if they are different. Mine are all from windsurfing gear I think. A little small, too much play.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They sell them at Hobie (for the H16 integrated track and at murrays). They work great, I used them to anchor my stops and traveler cheek blocks on my jib setup (the tops are fabricated out of the flat stock PVC, see above post). For equipment mounting plates may I suggest 1/2" PVC flat stock. It is strong, easy to work with (cutting, filing, sanding, drilling and glues well). If you file the underside to match the curve of the beam, you should get a very sturdy secure platform (use at least 2 anchors/plate). :wink: