Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speed run
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

OffRoad and I are going over to L. Hodges Saturday at 9am to see what the Hobie Tandem will do with a couple of Turbofins powered by some over-the-hill legs. If anyone who lives nearby wants to try out the tandem or the Turbofins, you're welcome to join us. Water skiing is not allowed on the lake so we won't be able to pull anybody. We'll be at the launch ramp in a white tandem.

OffRoad will post the results subsequently since he's less prone to exageration, unless --- he gets eaten by Hodgee.... heh heh :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lake Hodges
San Diego, CA
June 5

Quiet little lake nestled in Desert Mountains with marshes and fishing.

Row boat and kayak rental area.

Great kayaking lake.

What’s this, someone must be lost, there is no highway here!

Is that boat registration numbers above the front wheel well?

It looks well kept for a 1967.

Look Mom no trailer.

Now if I can only figure out how to install a Mirage Drive.

Here we are starting our turn for a speed run. That’s me (OffRoad) in front and Roadrunner at the helm.

Check it out as we plow through the water.

With roadrunner looking quite comfortable we are cruising at 6.8 mph. We’re hoping to get a speeding ticket in the no wake zone.

Don’t let roadrunners look of relaxation fool you, he was doing most of the work. With it still cool in the area where I live I’m out at my local lake paddling. As it gets warmer I will be in the Ocean pedaling in a cooler area.

Quote from roadrunner.

“â€

Last edited by OffRoad on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

We had a blast! Aside from getting a couple of bored fishermen to snap a few pictures of us, we also caught up to a rental boat with a 5HP motor. We were cruising in their wake about 10 feet behind them -- they couldn't believe it! We also cruised along with the car and were chatting with him as he was cruising. We could have whipped him in a drag race any day!

Offroad brought some really cool gear. Among his collection was a camera with a huge lens that could determine the sex of a fly two miles away, an underwater camera (he was prepared to get a full body shot on Hodgee in case he came by, and a hi tech GPS that can document your location down to the inch!

Too bad we couldn't get the tandem to go any faster. We made several attempts and kept hitting 6.8. With all the wake we were making, it really looked fast though! Well, we did get this one reading over 10, but Offroad said running along the shoreline didn't count. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Your selfless sacrifice in the name of science is an inspiration.

Did the boat go faster or slower after the internal application of beer? If this variable was not tested, then a repeat performance may be necessary to complete the scientific record.

What specifically (brand and model, etc.) was the wiz-bang gear that Apalach had along?

Way to represent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don that's not Apalach.. he's in FL not CA.

Probably even slower results in the Outfitter?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry. What stuff did OffRoad bring??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well done guys! We appreciate the info and the great pictures. I'm a bit surprised it didn't go faster, but I too kind of like the fact that the Adventure remains on top!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey OR and RR,
Great tale and great pics! When I first saw that red object off iin the distance, I was almost certain you had captured "Hodgee", but no such luck. Actually the "Haf Boat" was almost as good--great pics!

Yeah, once you hit the "hull length at the waterline" and general hull design walls, there is not much you can do to overcome those factors and increase speed above that level, so far as I know. Looks like you guys hit that ceiling for sure. Thanks for the report.

And StocktonDon--thanks for the compliment--unfortunately I wasn't there, but OffRoad is better lookin' than I anyway! :D