Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sailed my Bravo for the first time today. The wind was 25 knots gusting to 40+. I have a Hobie 16 and have sailed many times in winds like this. I thought it would be similar with the Bravo... NOT SO!! When sailing on a beam reach the I capsized 3 times before I could get feel for the things. I continued but I found things to be sluggish and unstable. The boat went sideways almost as fast as it went forward. I decided to sail on a point and things stabilized and sailed nicely. After a while it was time to had back. That's when all hell broke loose. I capsized many times. Anyway, what I'd like to know, what are ideal wind conditions for a fast and furious day under control?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I found the Bravo to be quick to tip and I had to learn to anticipate better. A WAVE will "warn you" before she tips. The Bravo just goes.

Personally, i would not sail in that kind of wind. I max out at 20-25. The boat cannot be drivy faster anyway.

Glad you are OK.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

20-25 knots is my guess too. My profile picture below was taken on a day where the wind was about 18 knots, but gusting higher. No idea how big the gusts were, or how accurate the forecast was that day, but it was a FUN day.

I've sailed in much higher winds, but after getting capsized like I was hit by a hammer, I realized it wasn't that fun! :) That sounds like the type of day that you had.

I don't find the Bravo as unpredictable as choctaw60 does. I find that in most winds, I can bring it right to the threshold of capsizing and quite easily recover. Even when I capsize, I rarely end up in the water as it's a fairly gradual thing in most winds. The Bravo doesn't pitchpole like the bigger cats. It just digs in and hits the brakes, while returning to level.

Between 10 and 20 knots is my "fun zone" but I enjoy sailing it in light winds, or slightly stronger winds too.