Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: anchors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a mushroom anchor and tie it to a clete either forward or aft depending on the wind. I see many people using the pulley system but it looks like clutter that can get tangled. Anyone who uses the pulley system have positive results?

Post subject: Re: anchors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out Kayak Kevin's videos ............. the anchor trolley can be a real great device especially in rough seas .......... they don't get hung up if they are rigged right ........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I use an anchor trolly. While it might look like a mess to begin with, it is something you should take a moment and study. Tying an anchor to your boat presents safety hazards in many environments. You need to rig your anchor in a manner that you can quickly and safely release it and get your boat away from it quickly. You won't be able to do this by tying off.

Aside from the safety concerns, your catch rate for larger fish (bull reds, grouper, large snapper etc.) will be MUCH higher if you are able to quickly and easily release anchor when the bite comes on. Many times, the fish will actually pull you around. This does two things, one it allows your boat to be more easily maneuverable so you can keep your pole over the bow (rather than having to twist yourself around to follow the fish) and two, it takes some of the stress off of your drag system, decreasing the likelihood of a line break.

Please take the time to research using an anchor trolly system. Using this, in conjunction with an anchor (with a float on the bitter end of the line), will allow you to release that anchor, move freely and quickly, then return to retrieve your anchor at your convenience.

BTW, one of those times when you might need to get off your anchor quickly is when some power boater is bearing down on you quickly and simply doesn't see you. Trust me, you DON'T want to be fidgeting with your anchor when you could be making a break for safety. Ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Better yet, ask someone local to explain how to use an anchor trolly. You REALLY need to learn to do this properly for a variety of reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good points...Thanks alot