Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just acquired a set of Magnum wings for my stock H18. I'd to order some spare hardware and want to confirm a few numbers. I also see instructions in the support section for SX wings, but nothing shows up in the parts list for Magnum wing hardware. It appears the track mount bar may be the same for both SX and Magnum wings, and that the strut tabs also have that double duty.

I see PN# 65071001 for a mount bar (or is that the mount bar kit?)
and PN# 65100000 for the strut tab. These are taken off the SX diagram. Are they the same pieces for the Magnum?
Also, is there an OEM install diagram for the Magnum wings?

BTW, are Magnum vinyl wing tramps still available from Hobie? I have mesh, but also want a solid version.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
Pretty certain wing tramps are not available. The pivot pins and slugs are available but the slugs are a different thread from the original magnum wings. Did you not get the hardware with the wings?
The tabs may be available but not certain on that. They are pretty easy to install but you will need to remove your tramp to slide the slugs in and may need to remove the rear x-bar and one end cap on the rear. Sometimes they will fit in the rear tramp slot, sometimes they will not. You also need the metal piece that goes on the pivot for the rear bar on the tramp slot side.
The SX wing attachment points rivet on, the magnums do not. The wings attached to the tabs with pins that are kinda long but I am sure they are available. Check the welds very well as that is the failure point for these wings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good on you, Chris, you found a pair...of wings...

Part #'s in the catalogue are confusing, as Magnum stuff was de-listed
Looks like you have it right, and yes, most parts are common, it's only the rear strut on the SX18 that is specific to the SX, to stop the wings from 'folding forward' in a pitchpole.

From memory....
You will need SLUGS, STUDS, WASHERS, NYLOCKS to mount the wings to the cross bars. (See Mounting Bar Kit # 6507 1001, or email me how to manufacture your own...cheaper/easier to buy from Hobie). 3 short slugs, one long one, 4 studs, 8 washers, 4 nylocks. As Mike said, Hobie changed from coarse to fine thread on the studs....

You will need clevis pins to secure the bottom of the outboard legs to the TABS.
CLEVIS = # 8020421 with ring ding, need 4.
TAB = #6510 0000, need 4.

Once you're done, if you want to get fancy, you could add the 'Anchor plate' #6819 0001, four of them, plus rivets with caps, although once you mount this, your wings are mounted 'for life.'

email me off line if you need to talk through any issues...

Don't know about tramps....
later

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just one minor suggestion .....

Instead of using 1/4" Clevis Pins to hold the Magnum Wings to the "Strut-Tabs" at the outboard ends of the crossbars ... I use 1/4" SS Countersunk Machine screws w/ Nyloc Nuts. This takes a little longer when rigging ... but the wings are then "locked" in place (when using clevis pins if you trap-out the wings move a little as you go over waves ... thunk ... bump ... thunk ... bump ...

The use of a "countersunk screww is "counter-intuitive" ... install the machine screw from the "outside-in" w/ the Nyloc Nut on the in-board side ... cut-off any extra screw length for safety .... (the "countersunk" head will center the machine screw in the larger hole in the "strut-tab" and reduce any possible movement ...)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry mates, I should have mentioned that I did get all the hardware, except for one track slug. It also appears, though I'll need to verify later, that I have the fine thread studs and slugs.

Mike, it seems removing the end cap of the rear crossbar is the only option. Is this common to all, or just some crossbars?

John, why is there one longer slug? Front or rear? Please tell me more about the 'anchor plates' option.

Harry, I do like the bolt-in versus clevis-in mount idea, to save galling the end caps.

Had a feeling the tramps were long gone. Any experience with after-market makers?

Thanks for the replies and encouragment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

The longer slug was used for the right rear (trampoline track opening). Had to be long enough to hold in the track.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt M confirmed why one slug is longer....

If you are prepared for it, you could 'Dremel tool' out the slot a bit instead of removing end caps...not everyone is comfortable to do that, as there are consequences.

Anchor plates are riveted to the Cross bar, after being placed over the slug/stud, and stops the slug/stud from 'moving', that is moving sideways in the slot.

What to do when you want to remove the wings for trailering or regattas? Likely, you'll have a stud sticking out, which can create it's own problems. That's why some will NEVER use the Anchor plates, as they need to have easier access to remove the studs & nylocks. I trailered with the wings up, and lots of protection so there's no rubbing.

Some folks want to 'set it and forget it'....those are the folks who need anchor plates. On one H18 Magnum, I saw 'butterfly' plates, sort of a s/s washer, rectangular, with the hole for the stud in the center, then folded back at ?45? degrees both above the hole and below the hole, so that the folded part matched the profile of the cross bar. Maybe 1 1/2" tall, 1" wide, not riveted. Helps spread the load/force when bolting the nylocks.

Wing tramps - you may end up taking an old set to a sail maker and ask him to use those as a template and build you a set with Sunbrella....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,

I believe you are correct ... in that Magnum Wing "Covers/Tramps" are no longer availible through Hobie Cat Co. I believe I remember a thread here some time back where the material needed to make Magnum Wing Covers/Tramps was made availible through Matt Miller/Hobie Cat Co so that a set of new covers could be made by a third party ....

Now, for my "Non-Hobie" beach cats I've had good luck w/ Sunrise Yacht Products/Tampa Fla fabricating new tramps .... I know that they also make tramps for larger "multihulls" .... you can find information about them on "CatSailor" at the On-Line store there ....

That's were I may end up ... as my Magnum Covers/Tramps are also getting near needing replacement .... but try contacting Matt M. first .....

PS: You may want to consider having "sewn-on" footstraps/loops installed .... made from the same material as the footstraps on the regular (main) tramp ... I have two straps/loops per side/wing ... one strap/loop per crew member for their rear leg ... the location for the straps/loops is one 6-9" from the rear corner of the wing and the other slightly aft of the wing's mid-point ... (measure the width of your "stance" to determine the exact measurements)

PS2: Remember to adjust your Jib and Main Camcleat angles .... they will be different w/ or w/o wings ..... ( if you can keep your wieght aft and release the sails you can actually drive a H18Mag till there is white water coming over the front crossbar and the tramp is under water ... AND RECOVER!!!!!)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 am 
Site Admin

Just so there is no confusion...

Be sure you know what a Magnum is. It is often confused with the SX wing.

There are no "Magnum" trampolines available. Not for many, many, many years. We do have SX wind covers.

There is no Long slug available. You would need the short bar kit and the anchor plate for the right rear corner.

There is no "Magnum" install diagram. It is identical to the SX for most issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks all for the replies.

Matt, I have a magnum set (shorter than the SX) 'squared' ends, not rounded.

As I understand the install is as follows:
Install the 'V' strut tab under each on the outboard crossbar bolts, with the tab facing out.
The slugs mount inside the track, with the bolt stud screwed into it.
The narrow tube leg end cap fastens to the crossbar end, the wide tube leg end cap fastens to the track mounted slug stud.
Adjust track slug position for proper wing alignment, tighten all eight mounting points.

The sailor I bought these from also provided a set of custom built brackets to hold the wings in the 'up and trailering' position, a nice bouns. More often than not I'll be trailering.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,

You are located about two hrs away from me ... as I live just over in "Pennsyl-tucky" outside Philly. I just brought my boat home from Rock Hall the other week and it is currently in my backyard. If you wish to come by and look at how my boat is rigged w/ it's Magnum Wings give me a call ..... (610)717-8207

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may do that Harry, thank you. Pretty busy through the end of the year. I'll be in touch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
You need to use the butterfly bracket on the right rear, at the tramp slot. Do not try without it or you will damage the track. The long slug also goes here.

I got tramps from Salty Dog Marine and really like them, good fit and quality. I would bet that Whirlwind could make you a set as well.

I also found that my wings fit better on one side than the other so try each wing on each side to see how they fit before tightening them down.

Your gonna really like the wings, best seat on the water!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,
you mean a butterfly bracket like the ones that mount to the crossbar ends? what is different at the right rear location from the other three corners? how is it mounted?

Thanks for the tip on Salty Dog. I've done business with them before.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No, not like the end cap bracket. Its kinda like a "U" shaped piece that fits over the track opening and spreads the load out. Sort of like the SX attachments but no rivets are required. It only goes in that spot so you should only have one.