Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHAT COLOR??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have finally made up my mind on which kayaks, we started with the outfitter then decided too small for two to comfortably fish,so I am ordering a sport fish for my 15 year old daughter and an outback fish for me. now I have to decide what color. I'm kinda leanin toward the orange for hers (where I can see her from a distance!) daddy's little girl you know what I mean. I'm wondering if the green is better for fishing/ if it gets hotter than the sand color. which colors hold up to uv exposure for the long haul. by the way I'd also like to thank all for all the great and useful posts, it really helped in the final decision making.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Green is a great color -- excellent camouflage. Sand is also versatile. But since visibility is high on your priority list, you may want to consider both boats in orange -- your daughter might be more comfortable knowing where her Dad is for much the same reason as you do. You may wish to swap boats on occasion also, with no loss in parental visability. Finally, you're least likely to get run over by another vessel, especially in low visability conditions.

I don't think color matters much to the fish. To them, it's mostly a big shadow blocking the sun. Against the light from the sky, color seems to vanish!

You'll probably get some color fading, especially in orange, but much of that will depend on how you store the boats. But then, it's like jeans -- sometimes a little fade is cooler -- shows your long standing experience. :wink: UV damage won't be an issue for the kayaks, only for you and your daughter! 8)

Post subject: Yak color
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey bama54,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum! When you start asking about yak color, you open a huge can of worms since everyone has his/her own opinion and they are all correct! Most guys I know have the Outback in sand, as do I. But not for my wife-no way! That was far too boring a color for her Sport. She wanted the golden papaya, i.e., “yallerâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yellow or Orange. We have a red and yellow Outback, the red one is going to be sold in the near future and replaced with yellow or orange Outfitter. Don't forget a flag...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went ahead and bought both the outback and the sport in the safety orange color for both of us. Thanx dueitt2s, Apalach, and Roadrunner
for your responses. They really were very helful in helping me to decide.
I ordered both with the bimini top as well. Now its on to the rigging options and making up my mind what other bells and whistles I want to equip them with! Thanx again,
Charly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good advice and good decision. My "yaller" is highly visible. I remember reading about a very scientific study on another site. They just floated a bunch of boats and looked from a distance to see which were most visible. Yellow was at the top of the list. From a distance, sand looks like a wave breaking the surface. As others recommended, when you're out on the water with the big boys in power boats, visibility is very important.

Good luck and have fun outfitting. You become a man when you cut the first hole in your boat! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
You become a man when you cut the first hole in your boat!

Great line ganiom--you should use that for your signature!
Best,
Dick

Post subject: "BECOMING A MAN!"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

WELL I WON'T BE ABLE TO BECOME A MAN TILL 4TH OF JULY WEEKEND.
THATS WHEN MY KAYAKS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN. I BOUGHT BOTH FROM MY BRO-IN-LAW WHO'S A DEALER IN JACKSON. AND HE IS SUPPOSED TO BRING THEM TO ME THAT WEEKEND. I CAN'T WAIT. IN THE MEANTIME I AM DEFINITLY OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS FROM ALL YOU
VETERANS OUT THERE WHO WHO WANT TO HELP ME DECIDE WHERE THE FIRST HOLE OR HOLES NEEDS TO GO! ALSO BOUGHT THE SAIL KIT SO ANY HELP IN THAT AREA WILL ESPECIALLY BE HELPFUL.