Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to get the maxium life out of my PA, so I was thinking about getting some sort of keel guard or other material to put on the points of the boat that may rub the ground when launching or landing on gravel banks, concrete ramps, or other damaging surfaces.

Have any of you PA owners put anything like this on your PA? Have any suggestions on what type/brands to use for this application?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Help me out guys! LOL. I have gotten some scuffs on the PA, and I really need to protect such a large investment.

Would material like a Rhino-Liner adhear to the plastic hull of a PA?

Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Carry a scrap piece of carpet or astro turf with you and lay it out on the ground, drag the beast up on that. I would think that it would make dragging a bit easier also with less friction than what the ground give.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Xi Bowhunter wrote:
Help me out guys! LOL. I have gotten some scuffs on the PA, and I really need to protect such a large investment.

Any other suggestions?

Rhino-Liner would be like adding a 10 pound anchor on a five foot rope and draging it everywhere.. I would not do that if I were you.. My 2 cents worth... Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thinwater skinner wrote:
Xi Bowhunter wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Rhino-Liner would be like adding a 10 pound anchor on a five foot rope and draging it everywhere.. I would not do that if I were you.. My 2 cents worth... Good Luck

Would it be that bad if I only covered the small strips where the hull and keel sticks down the lowest? Because, that was what i was planning on doing, not covering the whole bottom of the boat. I was thinking maybe just a 4 inch wide strip covering each part of the boat that sits the lowest in the water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

They do make a keel guard product for boats that applies with an adhesive and comes in different colors. Here is a link to the website gallery and then you can click to the home page and order from there:
https://www.keelshield.com/gallery

Hope this helps and keep us posted if you try it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the link, Branch Office. Good info.
On the same site is a product called transom shield. IF I were cosidering a "hull guard" product, I'd likely start with this.

Have a looksee, Xi Bowhunter... a rhino guard, with it's rough surface, might slow you down due to resistance.

Just a thought.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Xi Bowhunter wrote:

Would it be that bad if I only covered the small strips where the hull and keel sticks down the lowest? Because, that was what i was planning on doing, not covering the whole bottom of the boat. I was thinking maybe just a 4 inch wide strip covering
each part of the boat that sits the lowest in the water.

If the Rhino-Liner will stick to the yak then that would be better then the whole bottom of the yak. If you have RL already place a small patch onthe bottom and see if it will stick and for how long it stays on with use in the water... Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've tried the rhino liner and similar products (spray on bed liners). They do NOT stick to the plastic of the PA. Fiberglass repair kits also do not stick. I've heard very mixed reviews on some of the commercial 'keel guards' which are sold out there. As far as 'bonding' anything to the hull of the PA, goop brand marine adhesive works best. Of course, if you really want something permenantly bonded to the boat, welding it in place as you would a patch is ideal. I'm working on form fitting some smooth plastic pieces with a heat gun to various parts of the underside of my PA and will then use goop to glue them in place. I drag mine out to the gulf of mexico several times per week and there is alot of wear happening. My hope is that the plastic i will put on the bottom will eliminate that wear. As for the plastic material, think of the old rollup plastic sleds we used as kids. That's what i'll be using. The key is the adherance. I'll let you know how it pans out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
We share your concern about the abrasion on the i12 boat bottoms. Has anyone tried using McNett Corporation's Aquaseal (black)? We have had success using it on our scuba bcs. Thanks for suggestions!