Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Over the years I’ve seen various posts that discuss Hobie-18 Rudder Casting, both new and old styles and many refer to right and left hand casting sets. I have the old style (pre-1987) casting and I’ve always marked them when I disassemble the rudder to ensure that they go bat together correctly, and on the correct side.

However, (out of curiosity and in anticipation of the day I fail to mark the rudders) is there a way to identify the right hand (starboard) and left hand (port) rudder assemblies/castings? For both the new and old style castings? Pictures may help!

Sail#4854

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the new system, the upper castings are made in such a way that the tiller arms point inwards. Therefore, there is a port upper casting, a starboard upper casting, and the lower castings are universal.

On the old system, the upper and lower castings are the same for each side, so no port / starboard differentiation. However, it's still a good idea to mark the system port vs. starboard when disassembling. This will ensure consistent helm feel since rake settings may be slightly different for one tack vs. the other, or the pivot holes in the rudders may be slightly different for each side. Also, if the tiller arms are not exactly straight, flipping the rudder system around could affect your toe in.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
On the new system, the upper castings are made in such a way that the tiller arms point inwards. Therefore, there is a port upper casting, a starboard upper casting, and the lower castings are universal.

On the old system, the upper and lower castings are the same for each side, so no port / starboard differentiation. However, it's still a good idea to mark the system port vs. starboard when disassembling. This will ensure consistent helm feel since rake settings may be slightly different for one tack vs. the other, or the pivot holes in the rudders may be slightly different for each side. Also, if the tiller arms are not exactly straight, flipping the rudder system around could affect your toe in.

sm

Greetings folks! I have the older-style castings and wanted to point out that both of my tiller tubes bend inward such that the end caps are aligned directly over the center edge of the inner strip of deck non-skid grip. Not sure if this was the way it came from the factory, but it definitely means I have a defined port- and starbord-side rudder setup on my boat. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

All models (except EZ Loc Wave and Getaway) have "Ackerman" which allows the inboard rudder to turn tighter than the outboard. That is achieved as described above. The tiller arm connection to the tiller crossbar is inboard of the rudder pin axis. We have either bent tiller arms or designed castings to do that... which makes the rudder assemblies asymmetrical. To be sure you mount the the assembly on the correct hull... when the rudder is in alignment with the hull, the tiller arm needs to angle inboard.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A lil' trick ....

When I assemble my rudder blades and rudder castings I always have the bolts installed from the "outboard side" inwards and the nyloc nut on the "inboard side" of the castings ....

This means I can identify which casting is for which side .... and keeps you from getting scratched up on the protruding bolts (note: I do trim off any excess bolt length and file smooth ...), since in my experience most times people have a tendency to fall off the boat to the "outboard" side ... and you don't want something sticking out that could harm someone as the boat passes by while they're along side swimming in the water ..... trying to get back onboard ....

Now if I take them apart .... I carefully label them port & starboard ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Harry Murphey wrote:
Now if I take them apart .... I carefully label them port & starboard ....
My boat has the Hobie 20 connectors so I wrapped red and green electrical tape around the appropriate ends of the tillers and cross bar.